First time upgrading OS questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrMinor, Aug 25, 2009.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered Snow Leopard and have some questions as I have never upgraded an OS before. Since it is Apple I am assuming the process will be very straightforward so I am not concerned about that. What I want to know though is will upgrading change any of my preferences or settings or anything else. I recently spent a lot of time setting up Google Sync with my iCal and iPhone and gmail. I would hate to have to figure that all out again. Will it change anything else or can I just to the upgrade and then pick up right were I left off with my computing?

2. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

3. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

4. dangermou5e macrumors member

@CheapGeek
    I just watched your video, because this is my first mac and I too have no clue of what to expect when installing a new OS, in your video you mentioned a program which is supposed to do what CCleaner does for windows, but because of your american accent i couldnt quite understand what it was called (no offence, just i live in the UK, and english isnt even my first langauge).. would you mind repeating the name on here?
    TIA :)

5. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

He mentioned SuperDuper and CarbonCopyCloner for cloning and Onyx for system cleanup.

7. dangermou5e macrumors member

Oh yeah, it was the Onyx one, thanks guys!
    Hope I didnt offend anyone :)