First time user experience?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zRedbullz, Jun 2, 2011.

1. zRedbullz macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I've bought an iPad 2 for someone's b'day. This person has never seen an iPad, let along used one - after many years of reading books & newspapers, it's coming to end!

Now, I'm wondering if I should set up (and download the necessary apps) the iPad ready to be used prior or whether I should hand it over unwrapped and make 'em learn the hard way by going through all the set ups etc...?

Has anyone had any particular experience with using or giving iPads to people who've never handled one?

Cheers

2. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

I'd say it depends on how tech savvy the person is. Someone who's never used a computer or iTunes might be a little lost! Perhaps, if possible, you could walk him/her through the setup. But I'd say that if the person is fairly computer literate, things should be fine.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

A few weeks ago I handed my iPad to my late 50's mother. I would consider her to have a basic understanding of computers, but is generally wired for Windows systems since she's worked in office settings her entire life.

After a couple of quick tutorials and showing her which apps were which (mainly Safari, Mail, and USA Today) she picked it up fairly quickly and seemed to enjoy the touch interface.

She had a little trouble typing, but I think that would remedy itself in time. Other than typing short e-mails and URLs, I don't think she'd have a hard time with it if she had it for a week or two.

Since it was my unit I didn't have her mess with the App store or anything like that, but then again, I don't really think she'd need to.

It all depends on their level of comfort around computers and what they intend to do with it. A good portion of folks could probably get by with Safari, Mail, and iPod.

4. gatearray macrumors 65816

The birthday boy or girl can get lots of help at the Apple Store, either with a free "personal set-up" or the free getting started workshops. They can just walk-in for any of this sort of assistance. Encourage them to check it out, it will probably increase their enjoyment of the iPad!

5. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

I second this notion

This is true. The Apple stores provide a great "personal setup" for ipads, and it's free! They'll usually spend 20-30 minutes with you... often longer if it's not busy. So that way your birthday-friend can get everything setup, ask all the questions he or she wants, etc. The Apple stores also have free group workshops that are quite fun. You can book a seat for one on their website... :)