First time user of Mac, Love it, but don't know much.. (need help)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VypeR, Apr 26, 2007.

1. VypeR macrumors newbie

Hello, I am a very new user to Mac. I just bought an iMac 24" and it is brilliant. Although using Windows since nearly 12 years has made me too clumsy about certain things.. I really am trying to learn how to do every thing in mac so I can finally stop using flimsy operating systems.

Now First off, I am a normal user, I download a lot of stuff off torrents. Listen to Music, Watch movies, play occasional games (have shifted to my Xbox 360 in any case) etc etc (this iMac is purely for my home, so I don't do much work related stuff here). But I might some day, but that post and questions, may be later.

Right now what I need to know is How to Share stuff, from my iMac to other PCs on the network, most of the PCs on the network are running Windows OS. Very few are on Mac. I'll just list things in a row here (1 2 and 3 are basically same questions for different reasons) :

1> Sharing a folder from my Mac so that other users on PC can take / put stuff in that Folder, some folders being write protected, so they can only leach, cannot change stuff in the folder, but some folders are open for changing and altering files. I have a manual IP that I've put in my TCP/IP settings and this is my identity on the network, but no one can ping my MAChine or even search it.

2> Pinging and Finding other PCs on the network thru IP addresses Leeching files from their shared folders, etc.. (note, I need to Ping and Find other PC's which are mostly on Windows OS and I don't have their "Computer Names" only IP addresses!, yes My IP is in the same range, not sure about the workgroup though, how to change the workgroup, in Mac?)

3> I use a PPPOE connection and the Internet Connect application keeps asking me if I want to continue using Internet (it's more like a reminder. but it is annoying, how may I stop this?).

4> Some Key short cuts and cool things to do to show off my friends the Awesomeness of the MAC!

6> How to just switch off the monitor (screen) manually. Without putting the machine on sleep or shutting down. I want to control the monitor on / off manually so when I am gone out or sleeping at night, the Mac is On (& downloading) but the screen... Isn't!

7> LASTLY (for now) : I need to know if there are any built-in Programs that are like task schedulers? As in biggest egs : I am on a semi capped connection. As in, my internet connection is data capped during day and open at night. So basically after 11:00 PM I can download unlimited stuff until 8:00AM in the morning. So whenever I am downloading something off the torrents, I have to wake up in the morning at 8 and stop all the seeding and leeching activities. This is why I need to schedule task, so that my Azureus Bit Tyrant client not only starts at 11:00PM sharp but also shuts down or stops all my downloading and uploading activities exactly at 8:00AM or whenever I want. I could manage to start an application and stuff thru the iCAL, but it doesnt stop it. I can only schedule the machine to shut down, but that's not a very impressive option. Is there any way, I can schedule tasks?. Basically a nice free ware scheduler application off the net also will do, u might just have to guide me a bit.

Other than this, I am gradually trying to learn things from here n there, on my own, but these are some of the things I really needed to know urgently (yes including the show off, cool stuff short cuts, coz some of my friends are coming off this weekend and I need to look cool with my new amazing iMac! :) )..

And sorry for being such a question-man. I respect good msg boards and forums, and I usually hate posters who, without reading much or searching much, just come and ask questions. But this time I am just too excited with my new mac to care about it :p .. Actually from what I've read, this place seems like a very noob friendly forum, so i just hope u pardon my desperation and help me out at least this once..

Thanks in advance! :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Ctrl+Scroll
    :apple: +Option+Ctrl+8
    F9

Remember that what is referred to as the option key may be 'alt' on your keyboard :)

Welcome to the community

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I believe if you hold down shift while closing an application the genie effect will go 5x slower. Look at that window slide :D

5. Winterfell macrumors regular

Hold down Ctrl and place two fingers on your track pad and move them up. Pretty cool. :cool:

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Because the iMac uses a track pad. :rolleyes:

For something that looks cool but also happens to be insanely useful, learn to use Exposé to manage apps. Use the Dashboard & Exposé system preferences to set hot corners. I have upper left: application windows, upper right: all windows, bottom right: desktop. I think it's faster, easier, and more convenient than using the function keys or whatever...this way you just slam the mouse pointer to one of the corners and away you go...no chance of hitting the wrong key or anything. Of course, you can set it up however you want.

--Eric

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

6> Go to system preferences->Energy Saver->Show Details (unless the details are up) and change your display sleep to whatever time you'd like

7> Transmission has it to where you can limit your dl speed, then have it use the max speed at a certain time.

8. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

7- I believe you can set up a workflow in Automator to do whatever task you want to accomplish. Save it as a script. Then you can set an alarm in iCal that will run said script.

9. VypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, for everything. The keyboard shortcuts were too cool :D .. Can't wait to show off these to my friends.

Still not very clear with the 1 to 2 inquiries, I still havent tried much in any case, but it sure seems more complicated to access my friend's shared folder on the network than it was in Windows. Coz most of the time I will have to remember the Folder Name of the Shared folder or Share name of the Shared folder and there are plenty of shared folders that I access daily, so remembering all and typing them after the ip smb//{ipaddress}/{sharename} would be too tedious. So that is a little confusing now. Most of the other things I am pretty clear with now. cept

3> I use a PPPOE connection and the Internet Connect application keeps asking me if I want to continue using Internet (it's more like a reminder. but it is annoying, how may I stop this?).

Can someone help me with this, coz it keeps coming and reminding after every 15 or so mins..

Also the inquiry 7 : Am still not very used to the Automator thingy.. So don't know how to create a script. Let alone create a script that will start BitTyrant at 11:00PM and stop it at 9:00AM..

10. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

For the Bittorrent question:

If you want Azureus to do that, you can get the plug-in called Speed Scheduler. You can then set it to pause downloads between certain times. It's a lot more flexible than Transmission.

Or if you don't want to mess around with plug-ins, Transmission has it inbuilt. In the Bandwidth tab (in Transmissions preferences) set the Speed limit mode upload and download rates to 0, tick the "Schedule Speed Limit between" box and set the time to limit below.

11. gameguy3001 macrumors member

What you'll need to do is click on the Apple in the top left and open System Preferences. Then you'll need to choose Network and in the show drop down menu choose Ethernet. Then open the PPPoE tab and click the PPPoE Options button. So in there, you should see setting for how often it asks you to keep the connction and if you even want it to ask you.

Hope that helps.

12. VypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

gameguy3001 & Dark Dragoon, Thank you both, so much. That really, really helped!

Speed Scheduler for Azureus Bit Tyrent totally rocks! I havent fiddled with it much, but of what I require from it, it's pretty much awesome for that.

And Thank God gameguy, the Internet Connect reminder doesnt bother me anymore! :)

Life is so much easier now :D

Just need to figure out a few things now,
    a> The whole networking with the PC hasstle (without having to ask other people on the network to change their registry on their windows)
    b> How to write or copy files on my Portable HDD (which is set to read only, without formatting it)
    c> Scheduling and Queing files in Safari Downloads! (queueing files as in, clicking on different downloads should just queue them and the next file should start once the first download is over)..

One more thing I need to find out is,
    d>is there a way to put important links in torrents thru rss feeds? as in for egs, if a particular file comes every thursday can it automatically be added to my bit torrent client? (this isnt such a major priority, it'll just be something cool, thats it)..

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

14. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I haven't used them myself, but you might want to try the RSS Feed Scanner or RSS Import plug-in's for Azureus.

15. Winterfell macrumors regular

Oi, missed that. No need to be snappy.

It works just as well with a scroll wheel on your mouse (unless you're lacking that as well).