First time using a mac - PANIC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mowwww, Jan 22, 2016.

1. mowwww macrumors newbie

mowwww

Hello fellows, i just bought a macbook air, and i'm experiencing some problems minutes after unboxed it.
    I downloaded and unsuccessfully tried to open a couple of software, keep asking me for passwords, which i suppose is my iCloud account password (1st pic)? Anyways, i tried my apple id password and also the icloud one, but nothing.
    Tried to reset the password then and for some reason after filling all the information, and pressing on change password it just refreshes the same window as i have to fill it again without any errors showed( 2nd pic).
    Feeling quite frustrated since i was looking after getting a mac for a while now and straight away I'm facing a problem. I'm sure maybe I'm doing something wrong but cannot understand what I'm doing wrong.

Please help a noob ;0

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The first screen shot wants your computer's Admin password, not your Apple ID or your iCloud password
    The second screen shot doesn't show you entering the old password first before entering the new password

At least that's the way I see it

Did you buy the computer new or used?

3. mowwww thread starter macrumors newbie

mowwww

The thing is i don't remember setting any admin password?
    The second screenshot is right after i click on change password.

I bought it new.

4. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

As already stated it's the Admin password its looking for. Have you tried just clicking 'OK' without entering anything in the password field?
    Or, the store where you bought it may have set an Admin Password without telling you, if they did it could well be "your name". Give them a call to check if they set an admin password.

5. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

admin password is your password for logging in.

as many linux systems you are not admin, but SU (Super User) is created with same password as your user, and that is the password it asks for when you alter things on your system that you don't do normally (e.g. deleting/installing apps)

unlike Windows where they just give you super admin rights as a regular user, in term asking you if you are really sure you want to do what you just did and accepted...tsk tsk

6. vkd Suspended

vkd

When you turned it on initially and it went through a setup routine and you created your User ID, with a password? That would be the password to enter.

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If not, go to Apple>System Preferences>Users and Groups and set a password.

8. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

And since nobody actually spotted it, the first screen tries to trick you into installing pokerstars (mal-?)ware and transmitting your system password over the internet. This is not the regular OS X password dialog.

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Yes, I noticed that, too. Apps that ask for my Admin password and don't come from the Apple App Store just go in the trash. I don't need whatever it has to offer.

Dale