First time using apple computer..suggestions and help appreciated

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ftownlax, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ftownlax macrumors newbie

Some info:
    I'm a junior in highschool, I know what I want to do for college (something with graphic design, marketing, and advertisement) and am taking a few courses right now relating to it, and its time for me to get my own computer. My family has 2 computers, a really old Compaq for the desktop (that only gets used when I sync my iPod, its rediculously slow), and a Toshiba laptop that's pretty nice. My younger siblings share the space on this computer for their iTunes and mine is on the other computer (which is a pain), so I would be using the Mac heavily for music as well as design. Recently, after seeing what my friends iMac can do, and after playing around with a few apple notebooks, I've had my mind set on getting one. There are alot of choices out there, and I need to make sure what I'm getting is worth the money. For the reasons of design/college prep/school work I could talk my parents into getting it to me (or cover part of it) as a gift, and I would be able to wait for the new update to come out. I've put together a list of what I need/want in the computer, so if someone more :apple:inclined than I could help, it would be much appreciated.

Musts:
    -Alot of Space
    (text documents, music and video files, photos...while still being fast)
    -A photo editing/storage software
    (Something where PS would be convienient (I have it on this computer and already know alot about it, but its kinda slow/sluggish, I also like taking and saving pictures and such and would need some place to store them)
    -Good web browsing/video playing
    (For fun. Sports highlights, web forums, etc etc. Something where its fast)

(I can get alot of the programs from a good friend who is a big Mac user, so I don't really care or need to know about them, as he has explained them and offered to help, I just need to find the machine :cool:)

Looking for something FAST, reliable, fun, while still being able to actually serve its purpose of helping me as a student

but more so being fun.

(Looking at the Black Higher end Macbook. I like it, does it fit the "specs"?)
    (If I do get it what should I do about the upgrades and etc)
    (or something different)

Thanks e'rry body!

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

3. Ftownlax thread starter macrumors newbie