First time using iPad

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hello there,

I am currently thinking about getting the latest 9.7inch iPad Pro and I am curious one thing.

What do I have to do after I unbox and set up the iPad. Do I have the plug in and fill the battery first to full or just use it and drain it all and plug ?

Or any other advice to take most of it ?

I am planning to take my contacts from icloud with my mails and some apps for the first day.

Thanx for advices...

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
No, that's not necessary, just use it unplugged and plug it in later to charge it fully. Just don't let the battery get TOO low.

As a general tip, on lithium batteries, you can charge the battery any time and it won't hurt, even if you charge it while it's on 90%. If you let it plugged it while it's charged, it won't cause any problems as well, in fact, the battery won't be used so it's a better choice to have it plugged in when you can. I'd say avoid getting the battery too low still and charge it at least once a month or something.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
No, that's not necessary, just use it unplugged and plug it in later to charge it fully. Just don't let the battery get TOO low.

As a general tip, on lithium batteries, you can charge the battery any time and it won't hurt, even if you charge it while it's on 90%. If you let it plugged it while it's charged, it won't cause any problems as well, in fact, the battery won't be used so it's a better choice to have it plugged in when you can. I'd say avoid getting the battery too low still and charge it at least once a month or something.
Thank you very much for the tip. No matter how I know what to do, every new product creates stress on this subject :D

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Contrary to many misconceptions, there's not really a right or wrong why to charge mobile devices with modern lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries. Plug it in when you want/need to for as long as you want/need to. Nothing you do is likely to cause noticeable harm to the battery.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you very much for the tip. No matter how I know what to do, every new product creates stress on this subject :D
The iPad will likely be around 60-75% charged out of the box. The modern battery in the iPad can be charged and topped off however you wish. I probably advise daily deep discharge (running it down to zero) and full charge cycles, but otherwise I honestly wouldn't give it any thought.

I charge my Apple iDevices any time I think of it, even topping them off to 100% a once or twice a day and, while I don't keep most more than 2-3 years, the batteries have all held up quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.