First time vacationer in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, May 1, 2008.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Please post your vacation / travel tips on Hawaii.

I am flying to Honolulu on this Saturday for a 10-day vacation in Hawaii. So far, I will stay on Oahu for the first 3 nights, followed by 3 nights in Maui, then moving back to Oahu for the last few days before I take the return flight out of HNL.

For hotel accommodation, I decided to go with the economy hotel in Waikiki and a hostel in Maui. After years of staying at business hotels in the mainland, a hostel stay would be less scripted (compared to the resort stay) and keep the cost down.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i went to hawaii two years ago. we went to the big island of Hawaii for about 4 days and flew over to Maui for another 5 days. Best vacation i have ever had, i can't wait to go back and see the other islands we didnt' get to see. Enjoy your time, its something like you have never seen before

3. celeste808 macrumors newbie

Trip to Hawaii

Hello. I live in Honolulu and would be glad to give you some suggestions. But what are you looking to do? What do you like to do?

4. I3eXa macrumors 6502

only been to Oahu a few times and would definately recommend hiking Diamond Head Crater, get there early like 8am so its not so crowded. I live on Kauai so I could be more help if you decided to fly over here as well. Either way, it would be a blast, have fun!

5. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have just added Hilo in Big Island in my itinerary after my stay in Maui. I would be only for 2 nights there before I head back to HNL on Sun to make it for the early morning flight out of HNL on Monday.
    I welcome more suggestions.

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I would like to enjoy the nature in Hawaii. I've been in New York/New Jersey and Japan for many year. I like to hang out with the fellow travelers and see and experience the nature in Hawaii. I think I can finally use the beach pants I bought from my old college in NY (it has been in my closet for several years un-used).
    Maybe I will pop in one of 2 Apple stores in Honolulu. Not sure how close they are from Waikiki.

7. I3eXa macrumors 6502

There is an apple store in the Ala Moana Shopping Center which is in waikiki (i believe)

8. celeste808 macrumors newbie

Hmm...I think for Nature, that would be Hilo and Maui. You can see the various waterfalls around Hilo and there is a World Botanical Garden just an hour or so outside of Hilo. You can also go to Volcano National Park and there's tons of hiking there. I'm not very familiar with Maui so I can't offer much advice.

For Honolulu, you'll get Nature a little more tamed and/or packaged for tourists. :) I'm sure by looking in the week's guides (that are *everywhere* in Waikiki) you'll find something to your liking whether it be dolphin watching, parasailing, diving, snorkeling, surfing...lots to try!

The Apple Store at Ala Moana is worth going to since Ala Moana is a pretty impressive shopping area! Its between a 10-20 minute busride from Waikiki depending on where you're starting in Waikiki and traffic.

The other Apple Store in Kahala, in my mind, is a little trickier to get to since it's in the suburbs just outside of Honolulu. But I believe the #1 bus will take you there. It's only about 10-15 minutes from Waikiki.

9. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I would defiantly recommend that you go to Hana while on Maui. I live on Maui, and Hana would be a great place to go. Its on the other side of Haleakala (I think thats spelled wrong), and takes about an hour to drive to, while on a curvy road. While there, You should go to the 7 Sacred Pools. You can swim there, and there is also a hike too. I believe the hike is about 5 or 6 miles.

Also, you should go up to Haleakala for either a sun set or a sun rise. Its going to be busy either time, so you might want to get their early.

If you really like to hike, you might want to hike in the crater of Haleakala. You could do an overnighter, a few days, or in one day. The one day I cant imagine doing, as it is about 10-15 miles of harsh terrain. I did this as a school program last year. It was great, except for a bi-polar tour guide.

I notice that your leaving tomorrow, but I hope that this helps!

PS Go to some beaches too! :p

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

I grew up on O'ahu and in the times that I've traveled back there, I must advise that you stay away from the tourist areas (of course). They just draw away from the whole culture and landscape. The state has many national parks, consider going to a few of those. They're great.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I am so jealous. ;)

I enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Centre, near Turtle Bay, even though some might call it a "touristy" site.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

sorry to thread-jack but i'm leaving for kauai and maui this Saturday. I was wondering if you went to Haleakala at sunrise? Is it really that cold that you need gloves and a winter hat etc?
    What activities did you do while in maui?