First time watch users observation

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
By far the greatest change I have noticed is I do not carry my phone with me as much as I did prior to getting the watch.

It has been nice not having to have a square imprint in my pocket from my phone.

For those trying to decide on the iPhone XS Max this plays a role if you feel the phone may be a little large. You do not need to have it stuffed in your pocket all the time if you have a watch.

Has anyone else seen this as one of the larger changes once you purchased a watch?

Reactions: Tarantularock

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
By far the greatest change I have noticed is I do not carry my phone with me as much as I did prior to getting the watch.

It has been nice not having to have a square imprint in my pocket from my phone.

For those trying to decide on the iPhone XS Max this plays a role if you feel the phone may be a little large. You do not need to have it stuffed in your pocket all the time if you have a watch.

Has anyone else seen this as one of the larger changes once you purchased a watch?
Yeah, I noticed I used my iPhone less when I got the AW in 2015. I think when my Series 4 arrives with the bigger screen that may be the case even more so, especially since it's way faster than my Series 0. I will be able to use it for more common tasks like listening to music and podcasts, checking the weather radar, and viewing/replying to messages. Those are all things that would either drain my battery by noon on my Series 0 or would be so laggy or slow to load that it's just not worth it vs. pulling out my iPhone.

I'm looking forward to the day when you can use it completely without an iPhone and I can just have an Apple Watch and an iPad Pro. My dream setup would be a 46-48mm Apple Watch, that 11" iPad Pro that is coming soon, and a bigger 32" 6K iMac Pro in my studio. The biggest problem with this is the AW doesn't have a camera, and I won't always have my iPad Pro on me (which has a much worse camera these days anyway). When I know I want to get some good shots of somewhere I'm going I'll bring my mirrorless camera, but there are a lot of casual times that I use my iPhone camera, especially now that I have kids.

I got the 44mm SS, and haven't decided yet if I will activate a cellular plan. There are a lot of times when I'm just running out to the store or going for a walk/run where I might just bring my AW with me now. I find that I don't use my $10/mo 2GB iPad plan on T-Mobile, so I might cancel that and activate the Watch to keep my plan the same price. We'll see. But with cellular I could see myself leaving the iPhone behind maybe half the time—and that's an interesting shift.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Being able to leave the phone behind (not just when outside, but even when going around the house) is one of the primary reasons for me to get the watch. I find myself feeling calmer not carrying the phone around with me everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.