Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LorQ1027

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
San Francisco, CA
hello everyone!
This will be my first time preordering. I am planning on getting the 8+. From what I hear, I will have to put in the SIM card myself. My question is, is the SIM card easy to put in? I've never done this before. Thx for your help!

LQ

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
hello everyone!
This will be my first time preordering. I am planning on getting the 8+. From what I hear, I will have to put in the SIM card myself. My question is, is the SIM card easy to put in? I've never done this before. Thx for your help!

LQ
Question is what model are you ordering? In U.S if you are ordering a carrier specific model, you are required to enter your carrier account info and they ship you with the sim card inside.

Sim-Free model comes with the ejection tool kit (usually a small paperclip will do the job as well), you will need to have a nano sim card for it to work.

LorQ1027

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I am planning on buying the phone outright. I have the grandfather att plan and don't plan on switching. So if I just preorder the phone and buy the phone outright, will the sim be in the phone already?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I am planning on buying the phone outright. I have the grandfather att plan and don't plan on switching. So if I just preorder the phone and buy the phone outright, will the sim be in the phone already?
Sim-free version....make sure it's att/tmobil sim free version.

Reactions: Bee1776

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If you buy the sim-free model, it will not come with the sim card. What sim card size to you have? Is it nano? Micro?
[doublepost=1505362166][/doublepost]
Sim-free version....make sure it's att/tmobil sim free version.
In U.S Sim-Free Model is Verizon/Sprint, which is what you actually want to get. Since it will work on AT&T/T-Mobile. This is because of the Qualcomm model that it has which works on both GSM and CDMA.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
If you buy the sim-free model, it will not come with the sim card. What sim card size to you have? Is it nano? Micro?
[doublepost=1505362166][/doublepost]
In U.S Sim-Free Model is Verizon/Sprint, which is what you actually want to get. Since it will work on AT&T/T-Mobile. This is because of the Qualcomm model that it has which works on both GSM and CDMA.
I got sim free ip7 plus for att before. So, verizon has sim card slot or something?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I got sim free ip7 plus for att before. So, verizon has sim card slot or something?
iPhone 7/ iPhone 7 Plus sim-free model is Verizon/Sprint Model, not AT&T, that was for the 6S/6S Plus. Yes Verizon has sim card and I'm on Verizon and have the 7 Plus Sim-Free. It will be no different for this year for the 8 and 8 Plus.

You probably bought a 7 sim free and inserted the at&t sim card. On the back of the phone, it tells you what model you have. If you have A1660/A1661 That is the Sim free model for the US and has Qualcomm chip, which works on all carriers.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
iPhone 7/ iPhone 7 Plus sim-free model is Verizon/Sprint Model, not AT&T, that was for the 6S/6S Plus. Yes Verizon has sim card and I'm on Verizon and have the 7 Plus Sim-Free. It will be no different for this year for the 8 and 8 Plus.

You probably bought a 7 sim free and inserted the at&t sim card. On the back of the phone, it tells you what model you have. If you have A1660/A1661 That is the Sim free model for the US and has Qualcomm chip.
That back part you mentioned, I didn't realized that.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
You can chose to use the SIM that comes in the new phone or just switch it with your old one as long as it's a nanoSIM. It's very simple, just get a thin paperclip, push it in the little hole on the SIM tray which will make it pop out, just set your old SIM in the slot, and put it back in

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have an att 6s Plus. I don't think I want the sim free version. I plan on sticking with att
So if you choose to get the AT&T model, do know that they won't work on CDMA model (in case you decide to switch carriers, but seems like you won't be so it won't matter anyways). Simply just remove the sim card that comes with it and just insert the one from your old phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.