Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
I'll be visiting Dubai next month and plan to pick up a MBP while I'm out there because of the 15% saving.

This will be my first Mac and I'm not 100% sure what model to go for.

It's really a flip between the 13" retina MBP and the 15" classic MBP.

Which would you recommend for someone who's main usage includes social networking, uploading and editing photos, Internet and video streaming?
Don't plan to travel much with the MBP so portability is not really an issue for me.

I'm swayed to the 13" for the retina display and flash storage.
But the 15" for bigger screen and quad core processor is attractive to me also.

1.In reality, which one would perform best for my usage?

2. Is a smaller retina screen better than a bigger and higher resolution screen?

3. What would be the differences between a UAE MBP and a UK one? Eg.Will it have a US keyboard

4. If I chose the 15" MBP and upgrade to flash storage can this be done straightaway at the store?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
1. They are both overpowered for your needs.

2. Personal preference.

3. I suspect you will be able to get an English keyboard at the store.

4. Unlikely.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
You should just go try them out and see which one suits your needs. Feel free to close the lid and pick them up. The answer will become clear to you in time... :)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I'll be visiting Dubai next month and plan to pick up a MBP while I'm out there because of the 15% saving.

This will be my first Mac and I'm not 100% sure what model to go for.

It's really a flip between the 13" retina MBP and the 15" classic MBP.

Which would you recommend for someone who's main usage includes social networking, uploading and editing photos, Internet and video streaming?
Don't plan to travel much with the MBP so portability is not really an issue for me.

I'm swayed to the 13" for the retina display and flash storage.
But the 15" for bigger screen and quad core processor is attractive to me also.

1.In reality, which one would perform best for my usage? - With your usage, I would get the top of the line cMBP 13" ... the one with the i7 Dual Core 2.9GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, and 750GB HDD. Then, I'd put an SSD in to replace the mechanical drive. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the Retina model.

2. Is a smaller retina screen better than a bigger and higher resolution screen? - That's personal preference. When you go to the Apple, look at them both, and decide which one you like better.

3. What would be the differences between a UAE MBP and a UK one? Eg.Will it have a US keyboard - I'm not sure about the physical stores there. However, after checking out the UAE storefront for Apple's online store, it appears that you can get English keyboard for the MBP's, in either US Intl or US. This may only be a BTO option, though. Maybe somebody who's been to an Apple Store in UAE can give a more accurate response to this one?

4. If I chose the 15" MBP and upgrade to flash storage can this be done straightaway at the store? - If you bring an SSD drive and Philips PH00 as well as Torx T6 screwdrivers with you, you can swap them right there if you want. I doubt Apple will do it for you at the store, but they'll probably let you quietly sit at one of end of the Genius Bar and do the swap yourself if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.