Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Hi everyone, i've been a pretty addicted reader of mac rumors, but never really had a reason to check out the forums until recently. After watching the OSX guide on the apple website, i actually said "wow" out loud and wondered why the hell i was still on a pc this whole time. Thats when i decided that my next computer would be a mac, and for those apps that i know so well on PC i can always boot up XP. Anyways, here we go...

Currently i have a 17" Dell inspiron Notebook: 2.0GHz pentium M processor, 1GB of Ram, 80GB hard drive. Right now i have all sorts of problems with it so its about time to pick up something new.

having used this mammoth of a so called "laptop" for so long i want to invest in a true laptop. These are the things that i usually use my computer for:
Web browsing/email etc. (usually up to 20 + windows simutaneously), aim chat, MS office, downloading torrents, iTunes, occasional 'light' gaming, basic 'picasa 2' photo editing and viewing, and mid level audio recording and editing. I am a college student, so i would be bringing my laptop with me to classes and around campus as well for notes and assignments.

My question is how will the MBA will stack up in comparison to my current computer configuration? I keep hearing people say how the macbook air doesnt have very much power, but i've had my current laptop for around 3 years, which runs these programs fairly quickly, so the MBA technology should be better equiped to handle this type of load, right? The MBA, although slow by todays standards, should still be a step up from what i have now, right?

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I'd recommend the MBA as long as you are happy paying a premium for the design and also with the fact that you must have another computer to use for the disc drive.

If the above is not true then get a macbook - great machine.

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Skip spending all that extra on an MBA. Either get a MBP if you want to blow a ton of money or get a regular MB. The MBA is a pretty premium for the design.

R34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
According to recent benchmarks, the MBA performs at 80-85% of a 2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook. That MacBook is at least twice as fast as your Dell. The MBA is expensive, however. If you don't need the light weight and über-cool thinness of the MBA, I would recommend a MacBook for your needs.

Thanks for the quick reply! thats exactly what i needed to know. I dunno how the whole Ghz thing works anymore, i used to think that the higher the number the better, bit i just dont know anymore with these crazy numbers. Benchmark numbers also mean nothing to me. As long as it out-performs my current laptop by a healthy margin (~185% increase sounds good to me) im happy.

I dont really see anything in my future that would lead me to need any more power than this...im probably gonna wait until after WWDC and the back to school promo's start. Hopefully there is some kind of update or refresh to the notebook line. then maybe ill think about a MB

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I dont really see anything in my future that would lead me to need any more power than this...im probably gonna wait until after WWDC and the back to school promo's start. Hopefully there is some kind of update or refresh to the notebook line. then maybe ill think about a MB

If you're champing at the bit to do the switcheroo, think about picking up a refurb macbook now - $849 to get your feet wet and see how the speed compares (if you're thinking of shelling out for a MBA, I'm guessing dropping the $849's not a total encumbrance).

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
the MB is defiantly the way to go. My brother has one and i use it every once in a while and its really light compared to other laptops I've used. The MBA is unnecessary and is only good if you are not strong enough to life 5 lbs and don't watch DVDs or play music. I would go with the MB but wait till after WWDC for a possible upgrade, doubtful, and the student discount that starts in June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.