First-Timer seeking exper advice.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by J.P.COM, Jul 15, 2007.

1. J.P.COM macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I've just switched over to Mac after being a poor, PC-using college student. I've gotten a MBP and an iPod within the last couple weeks...but I haven't even opened my iPod because of some decisions that must be made.

My main problem is this - since I've been a PC user all of my music/videos are on my PC. I've read that if I link my iPod to my PC, I can still access the file structure (to place music/videos/etc.) + use it as an external drive on a mac, but not vise versa. To tell you the truth I'm not entirely sure what I can "do" with an iPod other than use it as (obviously) a portable music player and external drive. I don't want to cripple my usage of it by tying it to my PC.

So, my options seem to be either 1) use my PC, or 2) re-rip all of my music on to my mac. That brings me to my 2nd issue: what are suggestions for file format/ bitrate when it comes to ripping? It seems to be a personal preference, but I've read that ripping past a certain bitrate doesn't even make a whole lot of difference other than a larger file. Also - AAC vs mp3 : does it matter?

Thanks guys, I'm really indecisive about this, and any help you could offer would be great.

EDIT: I forgot to throw this in -- I'd like to avoid filling up my MBP drive. I do design work, so this thing could get filled up pretty quickly. I don't know if it's still possible to use the iPod with an external or what...but I thought that would complicate things.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can connect it to your windows PC with all the music and videos and put all of them on your iPod, then use senuti on your Mac to transfer all the music and videos from your iPod onto your mac. Then restore your iPod using your Mac to get it to be Mac formatted and you're done.