First Tizen smartphone released, Samsung Z

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Switchback666, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

[​IMG]

"The actual device, the Samsung Z comes with a 4.8-inch HD (1280 x 720) AMOLED display (306 ppi), that seems to be similar to the display of the 2012 Galaxy S3. There’s a 2.3GHz quad-core processor (Samsung did not offer more details), 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot that allows the addition of another 64GB. The rear shooter is an 8MP model, while the battery is a respectable 2,600 mAh unit."

[​IMG]

Here are the full specs:

[​IMG]

Back cover looks great on this one:

[​IMG]

And the source of course : http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-z-tizen-388446/

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah aimed at developing / emerging markets. Interesting nether the less.

I said all along that Samsung's 'Touchwiz' look is so synomous with them now, that even if they just skinned Tizen to look very similar and as Tizen is capable of running Android Applications - making porting to Tizen store not too much of an extra burden - then a lot of folks won't care if their 'touchwiz' experience is powered by Android or Tizen as long as end user experience is very similar....

We will see more Tizen devices creep slowly westward.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

4. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

if the price is reasonable, i might pick up one. looks nice and i think android apps can be run on Tizen.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is this Samsung providing these phones for emerging markets or are they moving away from android?

6. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Very interesting.......I wonder if Tizen will natively run all Android apps?
    I wonder if they will do a release here in the US at some point. I would like to try it out at least once.......
    But IMHO they should concentrate on refining/optimizing TW. That be more useful than Tizen......

7. Switchback666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I think its a good thing that Samsung starting to move away from Android, i guess they started with the smartwaches and low spec phones and eventually tizen will be on the smarts tvs and media players.

They will have more control and that is always good for performance and updates plus will play better with the accesorys they have.

Btw i forgot to add this bit to the thread but the Samsung Z also have the finger scanner and the heart rate monitor :)

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Samsung is diversifying. Its a small bet that will pay dividends if roles reverse and Windows or iOS starts becoming the preferred platform due to look, features or function.

Makes it easier to pivot without having to rely on a seperate company (Google) that has their own agenda.

It also gives Samsung the ability to become Apple somewhere down the line if they want to go in that direction... they will have their own OS, line of hardware and instand brand recognition. The rest (some cloud servers) can be bought or leased relatively quickly.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Too early for tizen to be on Note 4 but maybe Note 5?

10. Switchback666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I dont think whe gonna see Tizen on the Galaxy S and Note line soon, first they need to get third party apps/devs to get people on board but i wouldnt be surprise if they offer Tizen versions :eek:

11. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Thats what I am thinking too....they might release an Android and Tizen model phones at some point. Then the market will decide which one is going to succeed.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think Samsung are wise enough not to do that. They will simply masquerade whichever OS they are sitting on top of with Touchwiz.

As long as core apps are the same and there is no reason they wouldn't be, and as long as Samsung gets android apps/ports onto it's store a lot of general consumers won't know or care which OS their device is sitting on.

Ask most Samsung or other android device users what OS you are running and you'll be surprised by the general lack of knowledge about what version they have..

It was always a double edged sword allowing devs to skin Android, as we are now at the point where most folks recognise Samsung devices because of Touchwiz, its specific features and its core apps, and not the specific version of Android running underneath it.

13. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Great points MRU.....so what do they do with TW? Do they skin their own OS with another layer? or do they just enable those features in the OS itself since it is their own product? If they do away with TW on Tizen devices.....it might turn out to be a rather fast smooth UI experience.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It indeed possibly could be more optimised, which can only be a positive.

We will have to wait and see what reviews / hands on when this device comes out. :)

15. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

I would prefer if they followed this design language for the S5 instead of upscaling from the Galaxy S4.