First Travel with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schulzmc, Sep 25, 2007.

1. schulzmc macrumors regular

I just returned from my first trip with my iPhone, and I have to say it totally blew me away.

Some info: I travel about four times a year, normally two or three times are business and a time or two for pleasure. I have often had to take my laptop with on these trips, and wanted to avoid it on this trip which was primarily a golfing weekend with friends in Colorado, but with two days of travel/working and the need to be accessible.

To get ready for the trip I loaded about 12 of my favorite albums on the iPhone, as well as 10 unwatched episodes of “Heros” (I’m trying to get caught up so I can watch the new season live.) I also bookmarked (in Google maps) the Denver airport, my hotel, the golf courses we were going to be playing, and the home of my friend. My reservation emails were in a flagged folder in case I needed my confirmation numbers. Finally, the MLB.com wap site was at the top of my Safari bookmark page – because the Cubs are in the playoff race and checking the scores often was crucial to my sanity.

On Friday I headed to the airport with no laptop and no reading material. I watched one episode of Heros in the airport waiting to board the plane and then two more in flight. Upon arrival maps gave me directions to my hotel and traffic info along the way, and then easily gave me a new set of directions when a phone call discovered I could meet some of my early-arriving friends for the back nine. I checked and returned a whole bunch of email and made about 10 calls to the office – two of which were conference calls adding a third party. I did need that confirmation number at the hotel, and was even able to show the confirmation email itself to the desk clerk that was having trouble finding my reservation. Some music to wind down before bed and some time surfing my blogs and forums, and after all that use my battery was still well over 50% before putting it in the cradle at the hotel late that night. No need to figure out the hotel alarm clock, as the iPhone replaced my alarm at home and it will wake me as planned.

During the weekend I kept my foursome up to date on baseball scores all over the course, using the pitch by pitch feature on the MLB wap site (over EDGE, and it worked fine). I also took some great photos of the beautiful course we played in the foothills, and emailed the one of the sunset to my wife. My sister and I exchanged a bunch of text and voice messages as the Cubs swept the Pirates to go three and a half games into first.

Three more Heros episodes on my way home, and a bunch more email and office calls on Monday. The only pain of not having my laptop was having to wait to sync the phone when I got back to get my calendar changes from my administrative assistant on my phone calendar. Not really much of a problem for a weekend trip but a week long business trip might cause problems there. (Although, the new Google calendar page for iPhones would work for the time I was gone.)

All in all – I love my iPhone!

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Nice - I love hearing stories about how people actually use their iPhones (as opposed to all the "it doesn't have this obscure feature" posts).

3. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Now that is why I want an iPhone :)

Yeah, I know, it gets a bit tiring people complaining about their phones, I love a good story about the positives and how the features work well together.