First trip to Chicago

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bigjnyc, Jun 24, 2016.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey Guys, going to Chicago for the first time, I've been to just about all the major cities but for some reason never got around to visiting Chicago. Anyhow I'll be there from June 29th to July 3rd and was looking to get some suggestions of places to visit, places to eat, best deep dish pizza spots etc... and anything else that Chi-town might be famous for. researching online I've got a nice list of attractions and sights but its never as good as getting it from those who live there.

I am staying right downtown at the Hyatt on Wacker, right on the Chicago riverwalk I believe.

This is what I've got so far:

Architecture boat tour
    water tower place
    Lou Malnati's (deep dish pizza)
    Soldier Field
    US cellular field
    Navy Pier
    The loop
    United Center
    Buckingham Fountain
    Crown Fountain
    Chicago Riverwalk
    The Magnificent Mile
    Maggie Daley Park
    Lakefront Trail
    Skydeck
    Cloud Gate
    Wrigley Field

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Field Museum
    Museum of Science and Industry
    Adler Planetarium
    Shedd Aquarium
    Millennium Park
    Lincoln Park Zoo
    Art Institute of Chicago
    Google

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Awesome thanks. Is that a Google office in chicago?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's a verb, as in google "things to see in Chicago"

6. AustinIllini, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Architecture boat tour is a can't miss. Do not go to Chicago without doing it.

Not Lou's. Go to Pequod's in Lincoln Park. You won't be sorry. Lou's is good, Pequod's is life changing deep dish. I'm not kidding. I know you don't know me, but I swear by it.

If you're a beer drinker, hit Goose Island (two brewpubs, separate from the Brewery owned by InBev) in either Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park (like three blocks from the insane Apple Store/Train Stop).

Also, skip the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) skydeck. Go with the Hancock, instead.

As far as food, I wouldn't miss this restaurant by Stephanie Izzard (she has a couple, but this one is the most reasonable): The Little Goat. This is as close to the United Center as you should ever come, by the way.

Like in NYC, take public transit everywhere. The trains are a combination of elevated and underground. It seems silly, but consider getting a Ventra card for getting around.

Other bars and restaurants to really experience Chicago:
    Hopleaf
    Fountainhead
    Murphy's Bleachers
    Sticky Rice

Wrigley Field
    You're in luck (if you like baseball): It looks like the Cubs will be in town that weekend. Wrigley is beautiful, and if you're staying at the Hyatt on Wacker, the CTA Red Line is a short walk from your hotel and if you take it north to the Addison stop, you get off right at the park.
    Pro tip: If you take the Red Line to the Cubs game and try to go back south, don't go back to the Addison stop to head back south. Go one stop north to the Sheridan start and take it southbound.

I'll update as I think of more things

7. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Lol
    ah Ok got it. YeaH that's how I got my first list
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2016 ---
    Awesome stuff. Thanks!!!

8. jhsonderb macrumors newbie

Didn't see anybody mention Greek Town. A lot of good greek restaurants in that location. Might want to try the Greek Islands restaurant (200 S Halsted St., (312) 782-9855) for good food and atmosphere. It would be a short cab ride from the Hyatt.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

China town is pretty cool at the right hour of the day.

10. filmbufs macrumors 6502

filmbufs

Chicago is just a great, fun, friendly city. You're going to love it! You've got a great list going on so far and, having lived downtown for several years, here are my two cents.
    • Pizza. I've never been to Pequots so I can't recommend it but I 'might' try that place on my next visit. Go to Lou Malnatis. It's fabulous and you won't be disappointed. Gino's is also good but it's too touristy and corporate and has longer wait times.
    • Italian Beef, another food staple of Chicago. Two places I like are Als Italian Beef and Portillos.
    • Architecture. Stroll around the loop in downtown Chicago and go into some of the buildings. The architecture is fantastic. Recommended places: Chicago Board of Trade and The Rookery (both close to each other;) River area: Marina City, Wrigley Building and Tribune Tower (all close to one another....avert your eyes from the Trump building;) Bonus trip- Chicago Cultural Center.
    • Blues. You have to go hear some blues while you're in Chicago. No, really, you have to. House of Blues and Buddy Guy's Legends are on the touristy side but still great and then you have the Blue Chicago, Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S Chicago as great local spots.
    • Strolls. Walk the Magnificent Mile at night. It's beautiful and safe. Walk around Grant Park, see Buckingham Fountain and feel like you're a hundred miles away from the city. Visit the stretch of land by the Adler Planetarium and you'll see one of my favorite views of Chicago.
    • Wrigley Field. If you can, go enjoy a Cubs game. Take the El train and grab a couple of seats in the outfield bleachers. Make sure you walk around the park (inside and out) and soak up the atmosphere.
    • Art. The Art Institute is amazing (and pricey) but if you like art, it's a world-class museum and a must-see. Bonus move- find some architectural shops, like Architectural Artifacts, for a different kind of historic art.
    Have fun and we expect to see pictures of your journey! :)

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Another point on Wrigley Field, depending on the weather it can get really cold if you're in a covered seat (Outfield bleachers aren't covered, but any covered seats can get cold in the wind)

12. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Will definitely try that
    --- Post Merged, Jun 26, 2016 ---
    All great stuff I added it to my list. I hope I have time for all these suggestions as it sounds great and all must see