First try at HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by afroAnt, Apr 20, 2012.

1. afroAnt, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012

afroAnt macrumors regular

Hey everyone, so this is my first time experimenting with HDR photography and I would like to know what you guys think. I would love to hear your feedback and tips to improve. The pictures were taken with my Sony Cybershot W150 (thats why the quality of the pictures are not that good) and they were edited and put together with Photoshop. I know these photos aren't the best HDR photos but hey, practice makes perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

Please use smaller (file size and resolution) photos and the TIMG tags for images with a width bigger than 800 pixel.

4 MB per photo is quite big, even with fast download speeds in most capitalistic countries. Bigger sized files also use more resources, scrolling your post is jumpy, even after maflynn's intervention.

Here is an example of one photo down sized to 1680 pixel width via Preview > Tools > Adjust Size, and the resulting file is only 500 kB in size.

[​IMG]

looks like:
    Code:
    [plain][INDENT][img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_screenshots/MR_screenshots_2012_04/HDR8.jpg[/img][/INDENT][/plain]

3. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that. I fixed up the files size using your suggested method and now the images are all under 700kb.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think #6, 4, and 2 are the most interesting, but could use some cropping to get closer to the rule of thirds.

5. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

HDR is a contentious subject, as it can range from simply enhancing a photo, to creating wild special effects. It's tempting to overdo HDR when first trying it out, and it looks like you've gone down that road somewhat. The sky in your first four pictures have been darkened too much, but that can be recovered some way by cropping off the 'blank space'. I attach a cropped (and straightened) example.

The fifth photo is your best attempt, and the sixth has been overdone, creating very unnatural vibrant colours to both the grass and the sky.

You didn't attach any unprocessed pictures as a reference, so your results may well be limited by the quality of the photos which your camera creates. Software can only do so much.

Disclaimer: Other opinions do exist

Attached Files:

• HDR8.jpg
      HDR8.jpg
      File size:
      570.2 KB
      Views:
  6. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

These are the unprocessed 0EV version of each picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05423.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05441.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05497.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05542.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05411.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29817359/DSC05415.JPG

7. mspman macrumors regular

mspman

#2 and #6 are my faves. I like #2 because it makes me want to step into the photo and walk around the dock to explore a bit. I like #6 because the colors are so striking... which is the biggest reason I got into HDR photography to begin with... :)

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To me you can do all of the post processing on those photos to make them stand out without the need to go HDR.

9. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I personally cringe when I see HDR photos a lot of the time; however, the first two photos I think are subtle and lovely. The rest are alright but they are a bit too 'fake' for my taste. There are lots of people who like this effect though.

10. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

Problem with the second one, is that it looks radioactive :p and in the center there is a patch of sky that isnt darkened, missed it in post processing? To me the best HDR is the HDR that cant be seen right away. So just small adjustments.

11. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

This is my personal take on HDR - just to add a touch of vibrancy.

Disclaimer: Other opinions do exist

Attached Files:

12. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! I'll try again today with new pictures I have taken and post them either today or tomorrow. I can see why people don't like how it is a little overdone and fake. However, I do like it as the originals were pretty bland but next time I will slightly reduce the amount of adjustments I make to the photo.

13. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

This is one of the problems with HDR, IMO, and other dramatic post-production techniques: they're seen as 'get out of jail free cards' to give a bit of spurious "oomph" to "bland" images. The solution: stop taking "bland" pix...

14. Captpegleg macrumors member

take your time

You need to make a lot of photos to get a style or type that you like. The basic formula that I use is
    9 shot bracket
    Aperture Priority
    11-14 neighborhood f-stop
    Raw
    tripod
    remote trigger
    Import to Aperture
    Open with Photomatix Plug-In
    Process result in Aperture
    Make a couple hundred then come back and ask for a critique. If you're looking for the Batman/Gotham City look, you probably will have to do a lot of looking to find many likers.

Attached Files:

15. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Great pics

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

The biggest problem with HDR is not overdoing it..... Personally I think the edge glows on yours are a little bit ott

This is one of my 9 stop HDR's
    [​IMG]
    18 by simbojono, on Flickr

My intention is to capture as much of a range as I can, but not destroy the integrity of the image by making it look computer generated.

Also I think you need to sort your horizons out, they're all at a slant ;)

17. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I love reading some of these comments about what HDR should look like. :rolleyes:

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is the purpose of HDR, is it to make everything look like a cartoon or to make the sky "pop".

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I would say it is more like a tool to help create what you envision.

[​IMG]

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I see it another way, HDR takes a mediocre photographer and masks their abilities. Trey Ratcliff comes to mind as someone who made a name out of HDR, not because he is a great photographer.

21. tekmoe macrumors 68000

So HDR is only useful for mediocre photographers?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

HDR is a crutch to focus more on the color and less on the composition. You can take any image and make it look better with HDR but is that making people better photographers.

23. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Do you really believe this?

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think HDR is overrated and a gimmick.

25. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

+1

I like the way anyone who likes HDR is 'wrong'. I think it's the sweeping generalisations I like best.

Why people who don't like HDR would feel the need to come into a thread about it, and the preach to everyone about how we should share their taste in photo's is beyond me.

Still takes all sorts I suppose.