Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theNEOone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
NYC
Huh? I untick the box in options that says "let iTunes organise my music"

Then drag the music folders onto the HD, then set folder in iTunes. Job done. My own file structure preserved. Like this on both my HP and two Macs. What 5 hours of editing XML files? :rolleyes:
That works fine if you don't care about keeping your song ratings (and play counts....although I'm less concerned about this). The migration is much more involved if you want to preserve your actual library (including library attributes) instead of simply moving your songs over.

=|

I'd just like to say... you are anal.
When it comes to my computer, yes I am.

=|

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
This finder thing is something that is "new" to OS 10.5. You can, once you have a finder window set the way you want make it stay that way, but you have to specify that you want it that way. Once you have it the way you want hit command+j. This will bring up a window that will allow you to specify how you want the stuff displayed.

Personally this is one of the things that i hate about 10.5. In 10.4 and down this process did not have to be done. When you changed the look of a window it would automatically update the ._DStore file that these values are put into. When you changed the view back and forth it wold change it accordingly. But now, unless you specify how you want the folder, it will go to the default view on next "launch"

something new, thank you.. :D

i'm not sure if this is what you're after, but if you hold down the option key while resizing a finder window or changing finder view options, the changes should be recorded. i actually prefer this system over 10.4, because often i'll make a temporary change to the size of a finder window that i don't want to use permanently. using the option-click method makes this possible!

i tried it, but didnt seems to trigger anything.. :( either i am not getting it right, or something is wrong.. :(

capps

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Fusion: Doesn’t work as I had imagined. For some reason, I was under the impression that I could launch Windows applications directly from the dock without opening Fusion. I know now, that although you can create startup icons on the dock, clicking the application first opens up Fusion and boots up the VM before actually opening the program. This was slightly disappointing, and part of the reason why I’m getting Office for the Mac. I know this isn’t an Apple issue, but I’m including it because it was a major consideration for me when making the switch. Someone else might find the information useful.

This is not the case. There is an option in Fusion that will allow you to launch Windows Apps in Finder. If you've not figured it out already, please PM me and I will give you instructions. I am at work right now on my macbook, which I don't have Fusion on. I have it on my iMac at home. Again, PM me and I will tell you how.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Trash: can’t restore files to the original location. Is this just me, or is this really not an option in OS X?

This is actually not available in OSX, however it was available in OS 9 and was called Put Back. Based on leaked info and pictures, it looks like Put Back functionality will be returned to the Mac OS later this year with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). Good times.

Now if they'll only bring back Window Shade functionality...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.