Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In July 2017, Qualcomm filed suit against Apple in San Diego federal court, accusing the iPhone maker of infringing on six U.S. patents related to graphics processing architecture, power consumption, and envelope tracking technologies. Nearly two years later, the case is finally headed to trial.

apple-v-qualcomm.jpg

The trial begins today with jury selection, with proceedings expected to take up to two weeks. It will be the first time a U.S. jury is involved in the major legal battle between the two companies, according to Bloomberg.

The legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm spans multiple countries. The dispute began in January 2017 when Apple sued Qualcomm for an alleged $1 billion in unpaid royalty rebates, just days after an FTC complaint alleged that Qualcomm engaged in anticompetitive patent licensing practices.

Qualcomm has countersued, alleging that its "innovations are at the heart of every iPhone" and "enable the most important uses and features of those devices," adding that it "simply is untrue that Qualcomm is seeking to collect royalties for Apple innovations that have nothing to do with Qualcomm's technology."

Last week, analysts at investment bank Barclays said that Qualcomm is seemingly "running out" of time to reach a settlement with Apple if it wants to win 5G modems orders for the first 5G-enabled iPhones, expected in 2020.

Article Link: First U.S. Jury Trial Begins Today in Apple-Qualcomm Legal Battle

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
What’s the chance that they will actually get a jury that is capable of following what I’m sure will be detailed explanations using technical terms of various patents. I’d hate to be involved!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You know the answer to that. Tons of $$

Ranges from $400-$1000’ish per hour, depending on years of experience (each attorney billing separately, and lots of attorneys on each team)
[doublepost=1551709815][/doublepost]
What’s the chance that they will actually get a jury that is capable of following what I’m sure will be detailed explanations using technical terms of various patents. I’d hate to be involved!
You’d be surprised. Juries are actually pretty good about understanding this stuff, particularly because the attorneys work hard to boil it down to the key disputed issues.

Reactions: grs

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
They don't need juries who understand the technical details of the case. They need attorneys who have the ability to articulate technicalities in layman's terms. The legal team that does that the best is the legal team that has an advantage.

Reactions: macfacts

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Goes well above $1000/hr for the attorneys who actually argue the cases to the jury.
Yep. Though they typically spend the least amount of time actually working on any particular case.
[doublepost=1551711165][/doublepost]
These companies could have both saved so much money if they had just been able to compromise.

Each of them, acting in their own self-interest, appear to disagree with you. They believe that the available compromises are less desirable than the results of continuing to fight, taking into account their own evaluations of the potential likely outcomes and the likelihood of each such outcome.

Reactions: BlandUsername

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA

The good news is that I'll bet there are more jurors using Apple phones than Qualcomm phones ;), and I'll bet that the perception of Apple is more positive than Qualcomm. If that is not the case then Apple's marketing money is not being very well spent. I think going to a jury is bad for Qualcomm.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
This is different to the previous FTC case, and there will be another case about licensing in April if I remember correctly.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
Hopefully, this case will be done this year and not drag on so all parties can move forward. As a consumer, I would like to know what modems will be used for future iPhones starting in 2021. If Qualcomm still offers the best modem, then I hope they and Apple can settle this and move forward.

It’s a bigger loss for Apple and it’s customers than it will probably be for Qualcomm I’m afraid :(
The loser would be the customers and not so much for Apple as people will still buy regardless of what modems they put in. With that said, I still believe carriers need to improve their coverage and better signal. What good is a modem if the signal is weak and you can't take advantage with the best modem available. I have used speedtest at various locations and get different speeds.

They don't need juries who understand the technical details of the case. They need attorneys who have the ability to articulate technicalities in layman's terms. The legal team that does that the best is the legal team that has an advantage.
I totally agree with you. Jurors are random and not only specific to those who have technical knowledge otherwise it will take years before they come across who do.

Reactions: HJM.NL

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
The good news is that I'll bet there are more jurors using Apple phones than Qualcomm phones ;), and I'll bet that the perception of Apple is more positive than Qualcomm. If that is not the case then Apple's marketing money is not being very well spent. I think going to a jury is bad for Qualcomm.

Nice insight in your legal understanding

Reactions: HJM.NL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.