First update Aperture or first update OS??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dirk-Jan, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dirk-Jan macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this is the right place for this issue, but maybe some one can give me advice.

I’m using a MacBookPro with Intel Core2Duo 2,93Ghz, 8GB of RAM, operating system still on Leopard 10.5.8 and Aperture version 2.1.4. Masterphoto’s (about 200 GB) are stored on a external harddrive (raid system, and backuped on separate harddrive) and imported in Aperture library as referenced files.

When Aperture 3 came out I bought the upgrade directly, but due to al problems I read, never upgraded to A3. 
Now I’m considering upgrading to A3 again, but also want to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

What’s the best I can do? 
First upgrading to Snow Leopard, and afterwards upgrading Aperture? I did read some users had problems with Aperture 2.1.4 running under Snow Leopard, so I am not sure about this option.

Other posibility: first upgrade Aperture form 2 to 3 (under Leopard), and afterwards upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard (and maybe Lion). I’m also no sure about this option, because many of you did have problems (hanging systems etc) with the upgrade in the beginning.

I already do have made backup of my master photo’s on a seperate harddrive, and also have vault backup of the Aperture library (containing the adjustments, keywords etc).

Hope you can help me with this decission, because I am not a real whizzkid, and when problems appear I will feel lost quickly.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would always update apps if possible before the OS upgrade. So I would recommend updating Aperture before installing Snow Leopard/Lion.

jW