first use Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmfel1926, Jul 12, 2012.

1. jmfel1926 macrumors member

hello , i just purchased the MBA 11.6'' 2012 128gb 8gb 1,7 and i have two questions.

1) i have 99gb left. 28 gb for what? is there an office suite installed? i think from the store they told me that it is preinstalled but i don't find anything.

2) the battery was about 80% when opened it . should i make a good full charge ? i have spend most of it. should i drain all the battery and leave it all night charging?

2. luqtotheman macrumors regular

1. When you get a computer the HD size isn't exactly as advertised. Open disk utility by typing it in in spotlight (the magnifying glass on the top right) then click on "Macintosh HD" to see the true size under "Capacity" on the bottom. I bought a 512GB and it came with 499.6 GB. It doesn't come with office but preloaded with OS and other features. If you want to save some space there are some posts about deleting languages you will never use and/or reinstalling your OS from a fresh HD.

2. When I first buy my computers I just use them to until they run out and charge them full. Don't want to leave it charged all night being that it will be plugged in while it is fully charged. There is also a post all about batteries and tips.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

The 128GB drive has an actual capacity of 121GB. That's true of SSDs in general. A few GBs are reserved for use by the SSD's hardware so that it can write to the disk evenly. That's necessary to maximize its life.

There is not an office suite standard. However, Apple sells a suite called iWork that can be ordered. If you ordered yours from a reseller they may have installed it. Look for programs called Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. If you didn't order them, then you can download them from the Mac App Store (I believe each program is $10). However, all Macs have the iLife suite (including iPhoto, Garage Band, iTunes, and iMovie). The preinstalled software plus the OS itself take up the space you are seeing.

Apple ships its notebooks with their batteries already pre-calibrated, so there is no need to drain the battery. Just plug it in and use it. Don't keep it plugged in all the time, but don't worry about having to calibrate it all the time, either. There is more information here. http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

4. jmfel1926 thread starter macrumors member

i am asking as for the first use . is it ok to use it as you said although it is the first time?

5. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Yes.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, it's fine. I've done that with all my notebooks. Just plug it in and use it. It's already been calibrated at the factory.