First VoLTE iPhone 6 Plus Verizon call

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by andrewket, Sep 26, 2014.

1. andrewket macrumors regular

I just completed my first VoLTE call. I'm on verizon in the DC area. While on the call I still had data. Finally. Waited six years for this day!

2. philipandrews macrumors member

I made the switch from att to verizon and was going to miss being able to use data while on the phone. Had no idea it was coming to verizon till after I switched. The clarity is superb.

3. durangojim macrumors regular

Only thing I don't like about it is that I've dropoed 2 calls in the last 5 days. That's more than I've fonr in the last 2 years. Vzw said that might happen though.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

VoLTE is not implemented throughout VZW's network so dropped calls can be expected. I also heard (RUMOR ONLY) the VZW was gonna charge for VoLTE, gee I hope not.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

that speedtest in that link is so slow for lte..is that normal for verizon or does it go way up when not on a call (does a volte call really take that much bandwidth)?

does it seamlessly transfer to 4g if u go outside of lte coverage while on a call?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

8. epphllps macrumors 6502

It's no charge so we shouldn't be getting nickeled and dimed this time, lol.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I know but if you read the link.... New, Advanced Service. Someone in the back room is saying "hey, we can charge extra for this!"

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It does not. Verizon's VoLTE implementation does not support CDMA handoff and it looks like they never intend to. Their plan is to make LTE coverage ubiquitous so they can ditch their CDMA network entirely.

----------

It doesn't make a lot of sense to charge for this. Transitioning everyone to LTE will allow them to decommission their 1x and EVDO networks, giving them a massive chunk of unused spectrum they can repurpose for other things. They have every incentive to move everyone to VoLTE as soon as possible.

11. IonSen88 macrumors newbie

IonSen88

12. Skika macrumors 68030

What makes you so excited about VoLTE? Am i missing something?

13. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I'm happy for all the Verizon customers that can now use data and talk at the same time. It's an awesome feature.

The following is not aimed at the people in this thread - unless you were one of the people that gave me grief :) : I find it annoying that when I was considering the switch to Verizon, and complained that the feature wasn't available, so many Verizon customers responded how simultaneous voice and data was such an overblown feature. /rant

Anyway... enjoy the new feature. It really is convenient, and fun.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simultaneous voice and data? Better voice quality?

15. hazeof3dd macrumors member

I had been using it for several days, and have actually turned it back off again. Too many dropped calls, especially in areas with sub-par LTE service.

16. Skika macrumors 68030

First is available on 3G for quite some time, second i kinda get but not that exciting really.

17. andrewket, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

andrewket thread starter macrumors regular

First VoLTE iPhone 6 Plus Verizon call

It will take time for verizon to have VoLTE enabled on the entire network. Like you, I will be turning it on and off depending on my situation. For me, the ability to be in a stationary place on a conference call while using the hotspot for my laptop is priceless. For a few years I was carrying around an old flip phone just to be able to make calls while using the hotspot.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Except that with Verizon the first item hasn't been available at all so far on 3G or LTE for iPhones until the launch of VoLTE. Even for non-iPhones there were only a couple of phones at most that could do it on 3G (vs LTE).

19. I7guy macrumors G5

Sure I'd like to have it, but it's not a supported feature on my iPhone 5s. I have no intention of upgrading just to get a feature I don't feel I need. The flip side is having more options is always better than having less options, but it's nowhere close to a must have for me.

20. IonSen88 macrumors newbie

IonSen88

Unfortunately, I'm not always afforded the luxury of calling Comcast or Time Warner to setup WiFi or internet. I have unlimited data and personal hotspot with Verizon, so my phone serves as my internet. Nothing sucks more than to be downloading an update or file and receive a phone call.

It also feels good to look up stats when my New England Patriots fan of a friend talks crazy football stats and I can verify with google without asking him to call back.

I've always hated to get off the phone to receive a multimedia message too.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

now, if only they'd make it work for the 5s

22. chukwithak macrumors member

I'm happy for you Verizon guys...and gals. Always loved verizons reception, hated not having data while on a call. Stuck on my parents Att plan, but it's free.

23. cynics macrumors G4

CDMA (Verizon) iPhones couldn't do voice and cellular data until this point.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

Good luck with the new throttling policy. what is your monthly usage?