Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
So many people's reactions to manga are cringe-worthily ill informed.

"Ho ho ho tentacle rape and dragonball!"

Imagine if every time any (serious) US-made movie was announced people made a joke about Michael Bay explosions and slow-mo running. It makes about as much sense. Would that just be ignorant or would you see it as racist and dismissive of a serious form of art?

Sorry, being a killjoy here. :D

While I am also guilty of commenting negatively (Do we really need that?), in rethinking the best solution is to actually just ignore what doesn't fit into ones realm of what one wants to see or be involved with.

We do the same when a TV channel doesn't interest us.

So, for this channel (click) next!

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I hope that isn't Jobs meeting the Woz in that image.

It's not. It's the intro where Steve asks Walter Isaacson to do a biography.

Translation:

ISAACSON: ...your biography?
JOBS: Ah...yes.
ISAACSON: So this was what made you come all the way to Colorado to talk to me.
JOBS: Indeed.
JOBS: Wouldn't I be a good subject...?

The drawings aren't bad. I hope they get the details accurate.;)

----------

Manga?....so will we see Steve meeting school girls who accidentally show their panties?...I mean I hope not...that would be dreadful.

It certainly shows how little you know about manga if that's all you can conjure up with your mind.:rolleyes:

----------

You know that in Japanese Manga it goes from top to bottom, right to left when you read it.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
I can't read Japanese, but it appears to me that the conversation is going something like this:

Guy: Separately we are flawed and vulnerable, but together we are the masters of our sexual destiny.
Jobs: Their tiger-style kung fu is strong, but our dragon-style kung fu will defeat it!
Guy: Guys...
Jobs: The Shaolin masters of East and West must unite! Fight! And find out who is number one!

Renzatic

Suspended
manga_jobs.jpg

...anyone know Japanese for "you're fired"?

edit: fix'd.

Last edited:

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
It's Walter Isaacson.

A man who wrote a horrible book. I didn't learn one thing about Jobs reading the book that people couldn't learn on the web. Further, the author's tone was judgemental of Jobs, but not of others, such as Gates.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I LOL'd when I read this is targeted at Japanese Girls. Apple fanboys will out buy them all combined.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Ugh, stop reading Naruto and other shonen crap. The amount of prejudice is really annoying. I have tons of Manga, most of them are "high literature" if you can call them that. Some comics and even books could learn a lot from Manga, but whatever. It's a pity everybody thinks Manga and Anime are Dragon Ball and Naruto only.

Anyway, I can't wait to read a scanlation of this Manga as it will probably never be licensed outside of Japan. It would be interesting to see, what part(s) of Jobs' live was chosen for this Manga.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
So many people's reactions to manga are cringe-worthily ill informed.

"Ho ho ho tentacle rape and dragonball!"

Imagine if every time any (serious) US-made movie was announced people made a joke about Michael Bay explosions and slow-mo running. It makes about as much sense. Would that just be ignorant or would you see it as racist and dismissive of a serious form of art?

Sorry, being a killjoy here. :D

People ARE making jokes about Michael Bay explosions and over-the-top CGI effects whenever a movie is announced where Hollywood is involved.

A man who wrote a horrible book. I didn't learn one thing about Jobs reading the book that people couldn't learn on the web. Further, the author's tone was judgemental of Jobs, but not of others, such as Gates.

What can you ever learn from a book that you can't learn from a simple Google search these days?

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
I will learn Japanese just to read this manga.

I'm looking forward to the anime version. The English subtitles are not always faithful to the English audio. For example, the English audio describes the Major of "Ghost In The Shell" as "tough broad" (IIRC) but the English subtitle used the word "dyke" instead. :rolleyes:

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I actually think it is really badly drawn. Specially the colored parts. It looks like a bad photoshop filter put on top of a real photograph.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay, I'm trusting you on this. If you made me say something stupid or dirty, I'll never forgive you. :mad:

LOL, guess you have to trust me on this. If it helps any, I'm a native Japanese speaker, so I know what I'm saying, ;)

The full expression would be "Anata wa kubi da" -- "Anata wa" means "you are." But most of the time in every day speech, that part is abbreviated because it is understood. With your picture, it is obvious that whoever Jobs is pointing at and yelling "Kubi da!!!" is being fired.

Renzatic

Suspended
LOL, guess you have to trust me on this. If it helps any, I'm a native Japanese speaker, so I know what I'm saying, ;)

All that means is you could be making me say something stupid or dirty fluently! :0

The full expression would be "Anata wa kubi da" -- "Anata wa" means "you are." But most of the time in every day speech, that part is abbreviated because it is understood. With your picture, it is obvious that whoever Jobs is pointing at and yelling "Kubi da!!!" is being fired.

I'm starting to take this too seriously, because now I'm wondering if the ! is out of place with the text. It's been years and years since I've read Manga, and I've never read any in the original Japanese, so I dunno if they use western symbols or not.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
All that means is you could be making me say something stupid or dirty fluently! :0

:p

I'm starting to take this too seriously, because now I'm wondering if the ! is out of place with the text. It's been years and years since I've read Manga, and I've never read any in the original Japanese, so I dunno if they use western symbols or not.

Oh, they do use symbols like exclamation and question marks all the time. I think two or three exclamation marks would fit perfectly in this context.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.