First Website

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bntz313, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just put together my first website. I did it all using photoshop, cause I don't know any html. Please tell me what you think. I am always changing it, changed it twice since I put it up. I forgot to put home link so for now you have to click on my name in the header, which sucks.

I also dont know if I like the grunge look to it.

http://www.anthonybetancourt.com

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Looks great for your first site! Much better than others I have seen on here.

Keep developing it. My only advice would be to be aware of the fold.

3. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the fold? Never heard about that.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Stuff people have to scroll down to see.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would optimize the images at least or you could get someone to code it for you. I could help if you like, Just PM me. Pretty good for your first try though!

6. miiles macrumors regular

I would move the boxy-guy up a little bit on the home page, and also the site is titled "index" so you might wanna change that.

Overall it looks great for a first website.

7. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I optimize it or what settings. I wouldn't mine some one coding if but then again I wanna just be able to update it when ever. I'm gonna take an html class next semester.

Thanks for the comments everyone

8. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I agree with the other posters above me: for your first site it is really great.

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

10. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I'm still working on getting all the links working right now.

What's the best way to get it to load faster?

11. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I think its an amazing site for starters!

Fab

Good job, and good luck

ML

12. Krebstar macrumors regular

I like the header, the footer but not whats in between.

The robot seems like he's serving no purpose by being there, and only takes away from what people should be looking at.

I say use a much smaller typeface for the menu, and your "i" in portfolio is an eyesore and caught my attention right away. Fix that up, and lower the size and you'll be good.

When you go to the portfolio, you then have to click again to get to print portfolio. If there was a web and print portfolio, thats fine, but no need to have someone click yet again when you could just present it right away.

Also, whats bold draws more attention than something that is not. Your exclamation point is so bold that it draws the eyes to it, and it's at the end of the type.

Hope that helps.

13. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

There going to be more in the portfolio part just haven't got there yet. I'm gonna update it more and more. I have been ever day since I uploaded it. I just fixed all the links now so there's no dead ones.

14. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

The robot has no purpose your right. But is an image on your homepage really suppose to? Which i in portfolio are you talking about?

Thanks again.

15. Krebstar macrumors regular

The "i" in portfolio on the menu.

As for the robot, yes, it should have a purpose. You should always ask yourself "is this necessary?" when you're doing something. It doesn't matter where the image is, it should have a purpose. It should be a total package and nothing on there just because you felt like throwing it on.

16. Delameko macrumors member

But it's his portfolio site. And I'm assuming the robot is something he created himself and is thus an example of his abilities...

I like the robot and it makes me want to look at the rest of his portfolio.

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Optimize your images in Photoshop.

Attached Files:

18. Krebstar macrumors regular

If you're saying it's his portfolio site, so it's okay because he did it, that's one thing. If you're saying, it's his site, so he can put what he wants without explanation, that doesn't fly when you ask for a critique.

19. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I optimized the pictures (I'm pretty sure).

This is my portfolio, I wanted something on the home page to kinda draw someone into my portfolio. I just notice that i in portfolio also. All my pictures are .gif's is this the best to get it to load fast.

Will upload the whole thing when I get home from school.

Thanks for the replies.

20. motoxpress macrumors 6502

I am not sure about the side pattern and the content area. I would think about how the pattern relates to the rest of the site. It seems to be an element that has no connection to anything else. I would find a way to repeat it or some form of it in the header or in subheads or something. It would tie the site together more.

-mx

21. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

"conatct_09.gif" is way too large in terms of filesize.
    This image is currently 250K(!)
    Attached is an optimized replacement.

Attached Files:

22. Ryvius macrumors member

The site appears down and requests a root login to proceed.

23. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I just notice that too. It just started today when I got off work. I have no idea why this would happen

24. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there another way I should make my portfolio. I'm taking HTML in the winter semester, I don't know any of it. Could I do it in flash? or what's the best settings for web in photoshop.

I normally go save to web and just save everything with the default settings. Tried looking on google but didn't really find my answer. I would like my site to just open fast.

25. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You have to adjust Sliders and get the Best Quality you can while Maintaing small file sizes. I can help you if you want.