First week with my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nongsung, Jul 25, 2015.

1. nongsung macrumors newbie

Just a coupe of days in; 42mm Sport with green band and so far I like it.

Apple user since 2006 and I think I’ve sampled each and every product line and

today I have a whole Apple ecosystem in place. Mac Mini server with iTunes and Plex,

iMac & Thunderbolt for work, an iPad 2, an iPad Air, an iPhone 5s, a 6Plus, Apple

airports and a couple of Apple TV 3’s. The Apple watch fits in really nice,

It’s a gadget and there’s little I could not do without but it’s a nice design, it looks

just right (for me) and it’s a very convenient little arm piece.

I’m not into fitness tracking so that’s turned off, I do not care much about glances

but I do like the fact that I can leave my phone in whatever room and wifi keeps

the watch connected around the house.

I live in Thailand and spend a lot of time in my garden where I have a fishpond and

an open, roofed structure with some audio equipment connected to an Airport Express.

I can airplay Plex content to it and enjoy my music while sitting near the pond.

I do however need my iPhone (or iPad) in order to stream content and I’m hoping and

expecting that OS2 and/or Plex will come up with means to do that straight from the

watch.

I can take phone calls while sitting in my garden and that is very convenient; most of

the time I have to search the house for a ringing phone and that’s a thing of the past now!

As an ex-Pebble user I find the notifications just beautiful and the fact that I can read

most of the emails in full is a bonus. The haptic however is a bit weak even though I

have set it to the strongest levels.

Battery life is good, at the end of the day I’m usually around 50% and after an early morning

charge I’m good to go for another day.

The price is steep and certainly in my case where I do not use it to it’s full potential

but it’s nicely crafted and the attention to details (hard & software) is amazing.

I do expect that in 12 months from now the OS will be fine-tuned and more native apps

will enter the scene that will enhance the Apple Watch experience/functionality.

Regards,

Nongsung

2. deany, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

deany macrumors 68020

deany

"but I do like the fact that I can leave my phone in whatever room and wifi keeps

the watch connected around the house."

Do you use a TP link Powerline adapter to extend your wifi coverage as mine seems to lose connection when attached to the Powerline.
    Wondering what you and other users do when iphone is in one part of house and apple watch in another part.

Ps your setup sounds idealic! do you have sonos too?

3. nongsung thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Deany,

No, I don't use Powerline adaptors, just a bunch of Airport Express boxes to create (and extend) a wireless
    network. Don't think that Apple's Airport is superior but 'it just works'. An open 2.4 network is important, just as
    separate channels. And no, no Sonos, just an Airport Express with the audio-out connected to a mixer and
    active speakers. Works like a charm.

Maybe I was lucky with the wireless setup and can other members help you out with the Powerline adaptors.

BTW I found out that wireless is a bit more power hungry on the watch than BT but still accceptable.