Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Why don't they start hosting these events at Apple Park? Thought that was one reason for such a grand auditorium etc.

You're forgetting that WWDC is a 5-day conference with 100 learning sessions, hands-on labs, and other events.

5,000 people will attend.

Apple Park is a beautiful office complex... but it's not a convention center. :p

BoFVXEm.png

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
Ah I guess I was assuming they had planned for that sort of space requirement in the new campus.
They've always stated that their campus is their *work* site. It's not for the public, except in limited situations at the Steve Jobs Theatre or the Visitor Centre.

Reactions: Gasu E.

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
I think what’s interesting with their graphic for this year’s WWDC is that they have elements from both macOS and iOS. That may indicate they’re unifying the visual design of both.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Super optimized iOS 12 it even runs great in iPhone 5. Time to revive my old black slate beauty iPhone 5!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
How many of you are there left? 2? 3?
Mac Pro market share estimates vary, but Apple sells somewhere around 500,000-750,000 Mac Pro each year. I’m sure volume has decreased as the 2013 platform has gotten older and older, even with the price decreases and configuration adjustments last year.

Those that can hold out until next year are definitely not buying until the new platform ships. Some can’t wait, and continue to buy as needed, or buy iMac Pro (or leave the Mac platform altogether, for the short or long term).

But certainly the iMac Pro has permanently cannibalized a slice of formerly Mac Pro demand. And similarly, iMP has also taken a bite out of high end 5k iMac sales—a fair chunk of which came from customers that at one time bought Mac Pro, before high end iMacs became powerful enough to meet their needs.

Overall, it seems likely that Mac Pro + iMac Pro will have larger sales than did the Mac Pro alone, and I wouldn’t be surprised if iMac Pro outsells the 2019 Mac Pro ongoingly. I think Apple would be very happy with iMac Pro at 3% and Mac Pro at 2%. Both platforms should have room for growth as Apple proves their commitment to pro users with updates at least every other year.

Reactions: jeffreyk and jjhny

Harvey Zoltan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2018
Brisbane
I really like the look of the WWDC 18 app icon and invite but I'm not sure that applying that design to all of iOS and MacOS would make for a very user friendly experience.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So much depth... looks like a lot of augmented reality pieces...

I bet it has more to do with Virtual Reality as the next big thing...
[doublepost=1527736978][/doublepost]
Why don't they start hosting these events at Apple Park? Thought that was one reason for such a grand auditorium etc.

It's not large enough for this. Small announcements will be made from the Steve Jobs theatre, but there's no facility to host as many people as attend WWDC.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I'd like to see either a slight resolution bump to make the 15" 3360x2100 (2880x1800 has been unchanged since 2012), or reintroduction of the 17" with a Retina 4K display. Not very optimistic about either of these, though.

I've never had an issue with the res on the Macbook pro. Sure more res would be nice but not needed. 17" would be pretty nice too. I miss my G4 17"... Those were the days haha but try to get that 17" on a airplane tray or on your lap on coach flight.

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
Everything is great, we are selling like never before... Apple Stores are great places for bla bla, Apple Watch:

More health data
More bands
More rings
Oh this is named "Watch" so ... a brand new Pepa Pig Watch face.

The iPhone X...
  • selling great
  • they are copying us
  • This is truly the future of iPhone.
  • We will now replaced with a new model because we will ship iOS 12.

iOS we will turn it up to 12!
  • ... Super Retina Animoji
  • Siri is smarter
  • We want to be transparent to customers, we will release iOS with all the bugs first, features will come next year.
  • Still the most advanced mobile OS in the planet

macOS... our marketing team that now runs the company gave the name, awesome new features like:
  • Faster Mail
  • More Photos filters
  • Messages on the cloud
  • Maps have more info
  • Safari can silence more videos
  • Siri and spotlight can show more results
  • Last year we announced copy & paste will be fast with APFS, we are almost done delivering that, this year guess what... Mounting a volume will be lighting fast with APFS 2!
  • The new wallpaper!

one more thing... iOS 12 is all about performance, you only need to buy the next iPhone, Mac and iPad.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What I think is interesting is just how quiet everything has been from Apple's end in the past few months. Not a peep... and very few rumours. Makes me think that this WWDC could be a very big deal.

It must be if not allot has been let out. Its probably the one one to date that most have been kept "under the rug"

Suspended
Sep 6, 2009
Updated SE with same casing, better internals, better cameras, a 128GB option, and keeping the headphone jack please!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Updated SE with same casing, better internals, better cameras, a 128GB option, and keeping the headphone jack please!

If Apple updates the iPhone SE, there is no way they’re going to retain the 3.5 mm Jack. That would severely misalign with what other corporate executives from Apple have said that the 3.5 mm Jack is antiquated and dated technology. Phil Schiller himself has quoted that at some point the 3.5 mm Jack Is going away.

http://bgr.com/2016/09/08/iphone-7-headphones-removal-adapter-schiller-explanation/amp/

Last edited by a moderator:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I’d be willing to forgive Tim Cooks’ many transgressions if he brought back the 17” MBP. Sans gimmick bar and with all other concerns and flaws in the line up addressed. He can keep it if it’s just a scaled up version of the disaster that is the 2017/2018 15” MBP.
Nobody wants 17” and my MacBook Pro 13” 2017 is the best machine I ever had and I had a tons of PCs, Macs. Amigas, Linux boxes

Askinas

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
I hope there will be just a little new UI. Now we have had the same design since iOS 7. Just grab when you turn up or down the sound. Then a big ugly bar will arrive. Apple You have a lot of resources to do so and not just a few things. Just take the new Android P. And let's get the iPhone X get split screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.