Fisher Price digital arts & crafts studio for kids.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msarway, Sep 5, 2008.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

I want to buy my 5 year old an iMac for her room. She uses the fisher price digital arts studio http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=5625&e=digitalstudio. its only for windows :( i was wondering if any one knew of a similar product for the mac. or does anyone have a suggestion she loves to color and is very smart.

Thank you.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Get an older imac and a copy of Virtual PC for PPC - not a big outlay of cash and she can still run her favourite program.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Why not get a copy of Parallels and run the program on the new iMac? It would be way faster than Virtual PC...

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Terrible idea.

Virtual PC is slower than Hillary Clinton's rise in popularity.

I would suggest a used Intel Mac Mini off of ebay.

5. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

Money is not the issue and i thought of that of using VM and installing xp. i just wanted to see if there is something out there similar to this. i can buy a cheep drawing tablet if need be.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Ah, I thought you were going on the cheap given the nipper's age and propensity for colour (which in my day meant paint and lots of it).

7. jbartley macrumors newbie

I ran into this same problem. Parallels will not work. You will need to install under bootcamp to make the DACS work. DACS will crash or not even boot under Parallels. It is really not a option. Not sure about Fusion. but Parallels gave me nothing but trouble. I did find a program for mac that has worked wonders and has satisfied my my 4 year old. Doozla from plasq.com is a great program. Try it... It is very kid friendly. There is a demo at http://plasq.com/doozla

My four year loves it and has allowed me to put that oversized fisher price toy in my next yard sale.

Even under boot camp the DACS software is really buggy.

8. SoonerChris macrumors member

SoonerChris

Anyone find out if this works with VMWare?

9. rpflo macrumors newbie

I'm working on it right now. My 18 month old is about to destroy our Wacom tablet while playing in photoshop.

It's not working yet, but here's my current progress.

Problem 1:
    Not enough video memory

Solution:
    x. Shut down (don't suspend) your virtual machine.
    1. Go to your virtual machines directory (by default its Documents > Virtual Machines)
    2. Right-click the virtual machine
    3. Choose "Show Package Contents"
    4. Open the file named "Windows XP.vmx"
    5. Add the line

svga.vramSize = "67108864"

VMware Knowledge Base Article

10. bphinz macrumors newbie

I've been working on the same thing, and even with the svga.vramSize line in my vmx file and the latest vmware tools, the video adapter was only showing the default 16mb. It wasn't until I added:

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

that the additional video memory showed up and I was able to complete the install. After that the screen just goes black when I attach the DACS to the virtual machine. I read on a vmware forum that vmplayer doesn't support 3d acceleration at all so I tried virtualbox and that did not work either (same deal, vm display stops responding when the DACS is attached, but sending a CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the windows task manager and the process can be killed). Anyway, please let me know if anyone else gets this working under a VM.

Thanks,
    -brian

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

just install windows using boot camp and then it will run like normal.