Fishing & My Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iSax1234, Jun 20, 2010.

1. iSax1234 macrumors regular

I'm going on a road trip and plan on doing some fishing. Of course I'm taking my DSLR on the trip and wanted to bring it fishing in case I see some awesome interesting wildlife or scenes. We'll be doing trout fishing so all of the water will be shallow knees or less, or we'll be on the side of the stream or river.

I have the LowePro AW 100 Slingshot so it's portable. I'm worried about falling and my camera bag getting soaked with my gear. Would it be smart to put my gear in zip lock plastic bags? I planned on putting each lens (2) in a bag. And then another bag around that. And then I would do the same thing for my t1i.

So do you think this would provide adequate protection if my bag went for a quick swim , say less than a minute. OR should I just leave my gear in the car?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

If you are worried about your gear getting wet, than maybe a P&S would be better.

Personally what you describe sounds like a nightmare (dealing with ziplock bags) and I am too lazy to deal with all that. What size boat is it?

3. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I use this bag http://www.cameraarmor.com/catalog/Seattle-Sling-Dry-Bag,3.htm and it is waterproof. I find it awkward and a bit bulky though. It's good for transporting the gear on water but I wish I had something smaller like you describe. On that Camera Armor site they have a picture of a smaller bag but I've never seen it for sale. Another option might be to find a dry bag that will fit and fit in your camera bag. Of course you have to take it out to use it so it's vulnerable then. When I climb with my camera it's always attached to my person so there is no way to drop it when I remove it from the bag.

4. iSax1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Well see thats what I'm saying. We're just hiking by the side of the river or stream. So no boat. I won't be in the water most of the time, maybe not at all. Just fishing from the side, so my gear will only be wet if i slip in and fall. I'm not sure how much shooting I'll be doing anyways.

I tested it earlier I put a ruler in a cheap zip lock bag and put in a sink full of water. It stayed dry. I'll be using a lot higher quality plastic bags. P&S would be much safer but idk if i can handle using that instead of my DSLR.

EDIT: A dry bag would much more reliable than plastic bags. I may have to look for one at my sporting goods store.
    And I'm not worried about my camera while its in my hands. I have a strap so its not going to fall off into the water. And I don't think I'll fall in the water if I'm shooting. I'll have a light cheap tripod as well

5. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If the ziploc bags are going to be in another bag like a hiking backpack, then you're probably okay. If they will be exposed, then I'm not sure I would trust the ziploc seal to stay good if you fell in the water (impact shock and such, causing it to open and let water in). They also make things like waterproof stuff sacks that you could maybe put your gear in if you wanted to go the more fancy route.

Ruahrc

6. iSax1234 thread starter macrumors regular

My Gear will be in my camera bag. So my gear will be in the zip locks for water protection. And then inside my camera bag.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

Well if you are accident prone, then by all means get a waterproof bag. I have bushwhacked through streams/creeks to get to waterfalls and my gear sits on the end of my tripod when I am hiking or in my FastPack 350, and my gear is fine. I have shot in rain, and my gear has not failed me.

I was under the impression that you would be on a boat. I say if your gear falls into the water, it is going to get wet. My honest opinion is that you will be A-Ok w/o all the ziplocks and such.

8. iSax1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks i'll just leave the bags at home them. You're waterfall pictures are most def beautiful, I've checked them on flickr. haha thanks guys.

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Fishing and having an expensive DSLR doesnt sound like a good idea. Creek/Stream banks can be very slippery, and its easy to get overconfident and than take a good slip or fall. Even fishing in a shallow stream, it is easy to slip and fall.

If you are intent on taking your camera, I would forget about the ziploc bags and just get a good dry bag for your camera and each of lenses.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Definitely don't trust Ziploc bags. They can easily leak or break a seal. At the very least get a good dry bag like one of the smaller SeaLine ones. Even better, get a Pelican case. They are rugged and will open and close faster than a dry bag. With a dry bag, in order for it to be properly sealed, you need to roll the top down several times. Obviously, to open you need to do the reverse. That means unclipping, unrolling, putting your arm in the bag and grabbing the camera out of its own bag, then reversing the process when you want to put it away.

Take it from someone who goes kayaking several times a week, often with a camera: a Pelican case is sooooo much better than a dry bag. They are more expensive, however, so I would only get one if you plan on taking your camera around water often. If this is just for the rare occasion, a dry bag will certainly suffice.

11. carlgo macrumors 68000

The pro type bags people have suggested are the best, but if you do go ziplock get the kind with the little plastic tab that works like a zipper. Much nicer than the cheap ones you close (hopefully) with your fingernail.