Fit of dock cable in iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DOUGHNUT, Mar 20, 2011.

1. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Noticed this when I got my iPad. I was using my iPhone cable to sync the iPad to the computer and noticed that the cable was a very tight fit, much tighter than any IDevice I've had. After a few times it became much easier to fit the cable in, but I noticed that the cable left to very very small marks on the metal around the dock port where the cable goes in. I then compared the iPad cable to my iPhone cable and noticed that the iPad cable, the metal triangles that physically hooks the cable in appear to have gentler tapers.. My guess is that apple redesigned the cable and the new dock port is slightly smaller. Anyone else have the same issue? Don't really have much problems with it but kind of an oversight on such a minute detail since I'm sure many people like me have older iDevices and use the same cables as well. Haven't had any problems with the old cables either so I wonder why the change

2. HankMoody macrumors member

I just got my iPad today and I ran across a similar issue. The dock connector on my iPad is very tight and it is difficult to insert the cable. After using a bit of force I was able to get the cable in but I did leave two tiny marks on the bottom of my iPad.

Hopefully, using the cable more will get the dock connector looser, but I am a bit annoyed by it right now.

3. Bonfire macrumors member

Same here. The tapered design on the bottom is creating the problem because it makes it extremely difficult to align the connector. Pain in the ass.

4. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Mine too !

This seems to be a common issue, but not a real problem. :rolleyes: