Fitbit and the likes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gundamzero, Nov 3, 2015.

1. gundamzero macrumors newbie

gundamzero

My Fiance is looking at the Fitbit and the likes to help lose weight and keep track of her activity and goals for fitness?

Anyone have any experience with these types of products? Which ones do you guys recommend and why?

2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I've worn a Fitbit Zip (almost) every day for two years now. My thoughts:
    1) If you don't wear it, it won't do any good. I don't like things on my wrist, so I won't wear them.
    2) I went with the Zip partially because of battery life. If it's plugged into a charger, it's not on me.
    3) Fitbit's app is easy and intuitive. Don't have any experience with other brands.
    4) The only one you are really competing with is yourself. The Fitbit helped me realize that I was at different times more and less physically active then I thought I was.
    5) Some of these devices will flood you with data. Heart Rates, Sleep (Really? When do you recharge it?), GPS, Activity, etc. I think starting with a basic device and seeing how it goes is the way to go. You aren't out a terrible amount of money and can upgrade later if it's what you want.
    5) Distance measurements on non-GPS devices is marginal at best
    6) A trip though the washer and dryer is good for about 5200 steps. Don't ask me how I know this...
    7) Finally, a basic pedometer and an Excel spreadsheet isn't much different from a Fitbit Zip. It's not the device that is going to make her loose the weight - it's what she does with it. A good running partner did more for me than any gadget.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Where is the data stored (some company's servers or my personal hard drive)? How is the data stored (flat text file, XML, proprietary format)? How do you interact with the data (web based interface, locally installed software)? Does the company use your data in any way? If so, how?

4. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

Here are some pros and cons of using Fitbit
    Pros
    It’s super easy to wear all the time. It is very light and comfortable, and it looks casual and natural on your wrist. When I need to wear a watch, I have one that sits next to the Flex quite easily.

You can get different Fitbit Flex wristbands, reasonably priced, in dozens of fun colors!

I was pleasantly surprised to learn how many steps I walk during my normal work day. I do actually find ways to fit in even more activity at work, so I can watch the numbers go up.

Cons

I wish it was a watch since I wear it on the same wrist where my watch usually goes.

You can only charge the tracker with the USB cable.

It takes a lot of work in the beginning to establish your food menu in order to use the food log. I’m not quite ready to do that yet, but I would love to track calories and use that to improve my eating habits