Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fitbit today announced a collection of all-new products and services, centering upon the company's first smartwatch, the Fitbit Ionic, along with a new subscription coaching service, Fitbit Coach. The Fitbit Ionic includes improved GPS and heart rate tracking, is water resistant up to 50 meters, supports contactless payments, smartphone notifications, on-board music, and more.

Like past Fitbit devices, the Fitbit Ionic includes a variety of fitness-focused features for users to take advantage of, including a "Run Detect" mode that starts workout tracking when the smartwatch notices the user is running. When exercising outside, users can also leave their smartphone behind and track their running data solely using the Fitbit Ionic. In terms of the new water resistance, there's also a swim workout to track laps and calories burned in a pool.

fitbit-ionic-1.jpg

All of the Fitbit Ionic's enhanced sensor-tracking features are fueled by the new relative SpO2 sensor, which can estimate blood oxygen levels and "opens the potential" for tracking even more health metrics. Fitbit said that, in the future, this will include sleep apnea. The smartwatch's new display provides up to 1,000 nits of brightness and is protected by a scratch proof Corning Gorilla Glass 3 touchscreen.
"Ten years ago, Fitbit pioneered the wearables category with the introduction of its first health and fitness tracker. Since then, we have become the leading global wearables brand, setting the pace of innovation in the category and establishing the largest social fitness network that helps millions of people around the world be healthier," said James Park, co-founder and CEO of Fitbit.

"With Ionic, we will deliver what consumers have not yet seen in a smartwatch - a health and fitness first platform that combines the power of personalization and deeper insights with our most advanced technology to date, unlocking opportunities for unprecedented health tracking capabilities in the future."
Fitbit Ionic users will be able to pay at any retail store that supports contactless payments thanks to a new "Fitbit Pay" feature. The company said that over the coming months it will introduce support for American Express cards, as well as Mastercard and Visa credit/debit cards that have been issued from ANZ, Banco Santander, Bank of America, Capital One, HSBC, KBC Bank Ireland, OCBC Bank, Royal Bank of Canada, UOB and US Bank. Fitbit Pay will be supported in ten markets globally, with more countries and banks rolling out in the future.

Users will be able to get four full days of charge on their Fitbit Ionic, but GPS or music listening will limit the smartwatch's charge to just about ten hours. When using the device, users will also be able to access the new App Gallery, allowing them to select apps and watch faces to customize their Fitbit Ionic. Major partner apps available at launch include Pandora, Starbucks, Strava, and AccuWeather, and app support will be continuously expanded thanks to a new Fitbit Studio SDK launching for developers in September.

fitbit-flyer-1.jpg

The on-board music storage can hold up to 300 songs on 2.5 GB, and Fitbit has simultaneously announced a new pair of Bluetooth headphones so users can take advantage of music listening on the new smartwatch. Called the Fitbit Flyer Wireless Fitness Headphones, the sweatproof headphones have in-line controls for playback and smartphone interactions, customizable ear tips, multiple sound settings, and six hours of playback. The Fitbit Flyer Headphones can be pre-ordered today for $129.95.

The new Fitbit Coach iOS app will connect with the Fitbit Ionic to provide premium workout training at $7.99/month or $39.99/year. The company said that this training includes personalized workout videos, which adapt to each user's activity data gathered from the Fitbit Ionic's various sensors. Guided Health Programs include a six-week beginner's running course and a four-week crash course on reducing sugar in food consumption, with more fitness, wellness, and even sleep-focused programs launching soon.

fitbit-coach-1.jpg

The Fitbit Ionic is available for pre-order today on Fitbit.com for $299.95, and will launch for pre-order on select online retailers tomorrow and in stores this October. The device will debut in three color combinations: silver gray tracker and clasp with blue gray band, smoke gray tracker and clasp with charcoal band, and burnt orange tracker and clasp with slate blue band. Optional accessories will be available, including a Sport Band ($29.95), Classic Band ($29.95), and Perforated Leather Band ($59.95).

In addition to all of these announcements, Fitbit also unveiled a new smart scale called the Fitbit Aria 2. Within the Fitbit ecosystem, the Aria 2 talks with the company's other devices to provide a holistic view of a user's health, and Fitbit noted that the scale includes improved accuracy and design, easier set-up, and support for multiple users. The Fitbit Aria 2 is also available for pre-order today at a price of $129.95, and will launch alongside the other products this fall.

Article Link: Fitbit Announces $300 'Ionic' Smartwatch, 'Flyer' Bluetooth Headphones, and Subscription Coach App

Reactions: seecoolguy

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
I think with the Series 1 & Series 2 likely to see a pretty decent price reduction after a Series 3 announcement in a couple weeks this could be DOA, but we'll see.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
They want to charge Apple Watch prices, with that design, and none of Apple's security? Fitbit can't even secure their Bluetooth connection and they expect someone to trust their credit cards with them?

GTFO of here.

Reactions: nburwell and jef82

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
This is very disappointing. As an WATCH Series 2 owner, I want Fitbit to succeed and push Apple to implement new tech and fitness features into their smart watches. Even with Fitbit's new SpO2 sensor, Apple has been already supposedly been working on this for years.

All Fitbit announced today was they caught up (kinda) to Apple, including their pricing. $300 dollars for this is way too much, considering what is already out there on the market.

C'mon, Fitbit. Either innovate or turn into RIM.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
4 days battery life! If only an apple watch could get even half that!
Why does it matter. My 38mm Apple Watch lasts all day. I top it off before I go to sleep, wear it while sleeping (it’s my alarm) and top it off while I’m in the shower. The only time it would matter is if I’m somewhere away from power for several days and that’s very rare.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
4 days battery life! If only an apple watch could get even half that!

The Apple Watch can get half of that.

But when you need to charge the Apple Watch is wireless and magnetic, meaning it's as easy as taking the watch in and out as normal.

Kona Kate

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017
I have owned several Fitbit trackers and everyone of them have fallen apart in short order. My current Charge 2 is so poorly designed that the strap came apart within a few months. The company's customer service is great but I am tired of having to duct tape my strap while waiting for a replacement. The software is good but the physical product needs to remain usable for that to matter. I will not buy another Fitbit unless this changes. Fair warning...you get what you pay for.... quality wise. It is hard to get excited about a new product when they can't seem to get the simpler item right.

Reactions: Chunk72

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I actually think it looks pretty decent in the "real life" pictures. I like it better for it's more squared off design, rather than the rounded corner apple watch. With the leather bands it's not half bad. Kind of reminds me of a slightly updated Samsung style of design.

I also think the earbuds look pretty cool, but those could actually look worse in person (seems like the plastic may be tacky gloss finish).

Either way, this thing basically looks leagues better than the Blaze, and is probably what should have been released first.
[doublepost=1503937680][/doublepost]
It doesn't look too bad. Looks thinner than the Apple Watch but a tad large. Couldn't find any dimensions on their site.

Looks way thicker to me. Check out the shot where it's worn.

To me it looks much thinner in person, but when you look at it not in the wrist, you can tell the heart rate monitor and sensors has a big bulge. Once again, since this is hidden when worn, and with the main square/unit being thinner, it looks better to me.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looks like a smartwatch. Hard pass.

This issue I pose with This Fitbit Watch is why do they have to put their logo on that giant black bezel in the front? Horrible design practice here. Functionality, Fitbit does great here. But physically, it just looks off-putting.

Yes, I'm impartial to my Apple Watch and others may not like the design either, but at least it serves some nice finishes with the aluminum and 316 L stainless with round edges to give it a more 'Watch like appeal'.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Imagine if Apple released a smartwatch that looked like that. :eek:

Didn't they? It's no worse looking than the AW which is no beauty.

I'm happy to see contactless payments as a feature. Hopefully this feature will start to creep into true sport watches too. That is the one feature missing from Garmin's mid and high end running watches.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Why does it matter. My 38mm Apple Watch lasts all day. I top it off before I go to sleep, wear it while sleeping (it’s my alarm) and top it off while I’m in the shower. The only time it would matter is if I’m somewhere away from power for several days and that’s very rare.
Why does it matter... to you. You're use case isn't indicative of the larger market or the desires of others to not charge daily. There are plenty of use cases where the additional up time could be beneficial.

This issue I pose with This Fitbit Watch is why do they have to put their logo on that giant black bezel in the front? Horrible design practice here. Functionality, Fitbit does great here. But physically, it just looks off-putting.

Yes, I'm impartial to my Apple Watch and others may not like the design either, but at least it serves some nice finishes with the aluminum and 316 L stainless with round edges to give it a more 'Watch like appeal'.
The total amount of bezel on this watch is horrendous. It looks to be close to 35-40% of the entire watch face. To me it looks like a 1st gen smartwatch. I'm on record for having no use for a smartwatch, and nothing out there has changed my mind. A few of the round ones look good to me but I own mechanical watches that look even better. Smartwatches answer a question that I've never asked. Props to those who do find utility in them. Like whatcha like I say.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why does it matter... to you. You're use case isn't indicative of the larger market or the desires of others to not charge daily. There are plenty of use cases where the additional up time could be beneficial.

I don't think this message was intended for me Stang. I thought you were yelling at me at first, then I realized this post must have been intended for someone else.

Reactions: 69Mustang
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.