Fitbit Surge as Sport alternative?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rockyroad55, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I was considering the surge but waited on today's announcement. The surge has email and text notifications, GPS, better battery, and does sleep tracking. Anyone considering Surge over the Sport? $349/399 vs surge $249.

2. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

So far, I'm liking the Charge HR most. But it's probably best to see when the Apple Watch to come out for true opinions.

3. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

If you are looking that direction, there is also the Garmin vivoactive. It looks like a very nice sports watch with some limited smart features.

Really, you have to decide if you want something that is an extension of your phone/notification device or something that is designed for sports/activity training.

4. BD1 macrumors 6502

Surge and Charge are not accurate Heart Rate monitors during exercise. Check the fitbit forums. I had a charge hr and returned it.

Don't know how accurate the apple watch hr will be but I'm guessing it will be better than fitbit. If not, I will return it also.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I run with a Charge HR as well as a Wahoo Fitness Tickr X HRM belt and they're pretty much spot on with each other. I've found the HR tracking on the Fitbit to be a lot better than I expected and I've really been pleased with it overall.

6. BD1 macrumors 6502

It really depends on your usage. I wish the charge hr worked better. It works fine for everyday activity and exercise that ramps up gradually like a jog. It does not do well for any high intensity workouts/intervals, p90x, weightlifting. And some people even have problems getting accurate readings when sitting around.

I hope Apple get's this right. The sensors seem to be much larger on the apple watch.

Lots of comments here about the fitbit hr issues:
    https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Heart-Rate-Inaccurate-During-High-Intensity/td-p/597645

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I have a TomTom Cardio Multi-Sport. Does running, cycling, and swimming, and heart rate all on the wrist.
    Once Apple makes a waterproof watch that is thinner I'll consider getting one. Until then my TomTom does just fine.