Fitbit's New 'Sleep Schedule' Combines 'Bedtime' in iOS 10 With Sleep Tracking

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Fitbit today announced a new featured called "Sleep Schedule" as an update to its existing iOS and Android apps, aimed at guiding users into an overall more healthy lifestyle through the introduction of consistent sleep patterns. Users who wear their Fitbit devices to bed will gain increased insight into their sleeping schedules, as well as personalized sleep goals and reminders that are all aimed at encouraging a consistent bedtime every night.

Interestingly, Fitbit's new Sleep Schedule appears largely similar to the new "Bedtime" tab in iOS 10. Beta testers have commented on Bedtime's disappointing sleep tracking functionality -- which lacks Fitbit's motion-sensing nighttime wearable technology -- but other aspects of the new Fitbit update fall largely in line with Apple's first party Clock app. These include a sleep goal, bedtime and wakeup time alarm, sleep history chart (although more rudimentary on Apple's part), and push notifications to remind users when it's time for bed.

[​IMG]

Still, for Fitbit fans, the new "Sleep dashboard" will be designed with a user's personal sleep data in mind, and adjusted to fit their specific needs. The app will now recommend a sleep goal, give you an ideal bedtime and wakeup target to get you on schedule, and send out push notifications to make sure you don't deviate from the plan. Fitbit hopes the new sleep tools help its users rest up and recharge to better take advantage of the workout and activity features Fitbit provides during waking hours.
    With all of the new data, Fitbit will also create Sleep history charts so users can go back through previous nights and see how they are doing with sticking to a schedule. Fitbit has provided sleep tracking in the past, but the company now hopes the unified addition of a customized sleep plan, alarm, and history chart in one place will only bolster the use of these features among its users.

Fitbit users with a device capable of tracking sleep can test out the new features beginning today on the Fitbit app, available on the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fitbit's New 'Sleep Schedule' Combines 'Bedtime' in iOS 10 With Sleep Tracking

2. Al3004 macrumors newbie

3. brauntj macrumors member

Does anyone else think the iOS 10 "Bedtime" feature will be augmented to include actual sleep tracking with the new Watch that will (tentatively) come out this fall? There always seems to be a handful of software features that appear nice when released in beta at WWDC, but make much more sense when the accompanying hardware is announced months later.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Nope. One of the reasons why I do not use their products.

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Well, fitbit has intergrated calorie count that auto calcuates youre requirements based on your calorie burn and a battery of 5-7 days over the apple watch. Go fitbit

6. Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

7. NervousFish2 macrumors member

NervousFish2

This was my thought, too. They'll jack up the battery a bit, and allow 'Apple Pencil' style fast charging...

8. kieranbowley macrumors newbie

Yes you can with this app. Have been using it for a year now. Works flawlessly.

Sync Solver for Fitbit by James McAndrew
    https://appsto.re/gb/0q6V3.i

KB
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2016 ---
    You can with this app. Works flawlessly.

Sync Solver for Fitbit by James McAndrew
    https://appsto.re/gb/0q6V3.i

KB.

9. daftpunker909 macrumors regular

One of the reasons why I use their products - the software is super easy to use.

10. KALLT macrumors 601

You like them because they don’t offer Health support? o_O

11. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

That's what I was thinking. Either Apple's going to "Sherlock" Sleep Cycle on iPhone, or this is hinting at the next Watch. Or maybe both.

12. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

That and GPS and I'm game!

Glassed Silver:mac

13. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I can't wear my fitbit to bed because I have a Charge HR and it's quite uncomfortable to wear as a front sleeper. :(

14. iLoveDeveloping macrumors regular

Seriously love Fitbit, wish apple would just buy them but then I think, oh Ye, Apple would just ruin an amazing product. Fitbit are becoming more and more like Apple use to be and I'm loving it. (Not to quote a disgusting fast food campaign.)

15. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Same here. I had one for a while but would much rather have had the data in the health app rather than its own silo.

Misfit integrate I believe and it's much cheaper.

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I threw mine out when they didn't support Apple Health. Had a small run with Basis Peak and then switched to Apple Watch when it was released. I've been happier with each move.

No, I don't want to get another app to make FitBit play with Apple Health.

17. hagar macrumors 6502a

What I'm wondering about is health issues. Is it actually safe to wear a Bluetooth device that's emitting signals all the time, so close to your body 24/7? There are no safety regulations regarding this, and no studies have shown this is safe or dangerous in the long term. Just wondering.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Wonder if this means Fitbit will finally let you select when your day ends and week begins, other than the arbitrary Midnight and a choice between Sunday and Monday.

19. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

One of the reasons I do. The health app is just playing horrible. A big bloody mess.

Fitbit dashboard on the other hand is so easy to use.

20. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

This is great for people that work "normal" hours. I tried a Pebble Steel and a Firbit Surge a few years ago to gain insight into my sleeping patterns during the 7 consecutive days per month I work Midnight to 8am. Guess what I learned? I don't sleep enough, guess what? I already knew that; devices and apps like these are great but what is a user supposed to do with the data they receive? That is where the disconnect was for me, I sold both devices about a month after getting them. The Pebble was redundant on notifications and the FitBit was too fitness oriented.

21. stubbornapple macrumors member

Really? I also have a charge HR and don't even notice it when I'm wearing it.

22. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

I've always thought of this too and idk if there's a better way tbh. It would make much more sense for them to keynote hardware and software at the same time but then the keynote would be ~10 hrs long. Maybe they can hold back the hardware tied software and reveal it with the hardware… idk.
    Remind me what that means again, Sherlock?
    'Front sleeper' lol. That sounds too funny.
    I think it's pretty clever actually. It's an aggregate for all your health devices and things instead of having a seperate app for each, similar to he Home app. The only thing is implementation needs to improve and Apple should require developers to support it.

23. Urban Joe macrumors 6502

How about a sex schedule? Can we look forward to sexual activity tracking also? "bedtime" seems a bit ambiguous imo

PS. You prob heard it here first, folks

24. Al3004 macrumors newbie

I might consider moving to under armour

25. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

When Apple steals an idea from a third-party developer and integrates it into one or more OSes.