Fitness App Where Watch Does The Tracking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by FelicityW, Jul 23, 2015.

1. FelicityW macrumors regular

I went through all the iPhone apps that have a Watch supplemental app. (Yes, my head is about to explode, but I found some interesting apps!) It is still not clear to me which of these apps just use Watch to report the stats versus those that use Watch to collect the data. I don't carry my phone around a lot of the day though it is within 'earshot', and I am tired of being told to stand when I was just walking around or that I haven't taken enough steps. What Watch supplemental apps actually record steps themselves?

2. gppittjk macrumors regular

Right now, third-party apps don't have direct access to the accelerometer (or HRM) in the watch, so none of them do. They generally pull your steps from the health app, which records your steps based on the watch's accelerometer and/or iPhone's motion sensor. That'll change with watchOS 2 in the fall, which will grant third party apps access to the health features of the device. For now, the only app that truly interfaces directly with the watch's internal health/motion monitoring is the first-party Activity app.