Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hello

I'm thinking about joining 24 hours fitness, but a co-worker suggested fitness connection. But for $9.99 plus tax what can I really get each month. The guy that answered the phone at the Fitness Connection mentioned activation fee. If anyone can give me some pros and cons, any advice will be appreciated.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Not familiar with either of those businesses, but I'll offer a few suggestions based on the gym memberships I've had.

As far as cost, look at everything. Activation fees (usually one time), monthly rates, class fees, maintenance fees, etc. Some of the gyms will run specials waving activation fees, lowering rates, or giving free months. Also pay attention to termination terms. I had to give two months notice at my last gym. A lot of good that last month did as I had moved out of state by then.

Gym memberships are one of those things that if you don't use it, it's a waste of money no matter how cheap it is. So you'd be better off paying more for a place you would use then paying anything for a place you never set foot in.

1) Is the gym out of my way?
2) Do they have the classes/equipment I need? (are there extra fees?)
3) Trainers available? Extra charge? Credentials?
4) Do the hours work for me?
5) Do they have the right atmosphere? (Music, Good Attitudes, No group of guys in the back squatting 500 lbs and grunting so loud you can hear them over your iPod)
6) What's my fitness goals? (I am better served by three sets of dumbbells, a bench, and a treadmill in my basement then a gym membership - for you it might be a running or cycling club).

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Not familiar with either of those businesses, but I'll offer a few suggestions based on the gym memberships I've had.

As far as cost, look at everything. Activation fees (usually one time), monthly rates, class fees, maintenance fees, etc. Some of the gyms will run specials waving activation fees, lowering rates, or giving free months. Also pay attention to termination terms. I had to give two months notice at my last gym. A lot of good that last month did as I had moved out of state by then.

Gym memberships are one of those things that if you don't use it, it's a waste of money no matter how cheap it is. So you'd be better off paying more for a place you would use then paying anything for a place you never set foot in.

5) Do they have the right atmosphere? (Music, Good Attitudes, No group of guys in the back squatting 500 lbs and grunting so loud you can hear them over your iPod)
6) What's my fitness goals? (I am better served by three sets of dumbbells, a bench, and a treadmill in my basement then a gym membership - for you it might be a running or cycling club).

Thanks for the suggestions. It was very helpful.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009

One more thing. I searched the internet and discovered that their are a lot of complaints about fitness connection e.g. smells bad and they continue to charge your credit card even after you cancel your membership.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.