Fitting a PPC hard drive to a firewire enclosure

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hp1xbg, Mar 13, 2011.

1. hp1xbg macrumors newbie

I had a powerbook G4 1.67 that bit the dust this week after 6 years. No complaints, but I need to get the information off the hard drive. I have a firewire enclosure that I use for my IDE hard drives, but this drive doesn't match up to that adapter. (at least I don't think it does). I've already removed the hard drive from the powerbook. I just need to either get an adapter for it to fit my FW enclosure or some other adapter to USB so that I can migrate the stuff to a new macbookpro.

The drive is a Seagate Momentus 5400-2 100Gb hard drive.

What's the best course of action?

Thanks in advance.

Mack

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You need a 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure or 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Yeah, the convenient options are basically what bizzle wrote. Of the two a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter is by far the cheapest.

On the other hand, if you find a reasonable cheap enclosure for 2.5" IDE you can get one of those and continue to use the disk as an external drive.

4. hp1xbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any reccomendations on an adapter?

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

No specific recommendation since it was a while since I bought one, but a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adapter is fortunately very non-complicated so even the cheap ones on eBay should be OK.

The only thing the adapter has to do is to change the standard IDE connector and the normal power connector to smaller variants for the 2.5" drive. The signals are the same.

6. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard