fitting an ssd and keeping the current drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeM, Aug 5, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i cant seem to find much definitive info about moving apps and removing osx from the current drive.
    can i just buy the ssd put it in an an enclosure and install mountain lion over usb with carbon copy? if i do this can i select what i want to copy? ie system files, apps, pics, but not music or video?
    once ive done this can i just plug it in place of the superdrive and delete osx off the current hdd?

cheers

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you clone your whole drive with CCC, you should be able to swap drives and boot. Just put one in an enclosure and clone it. I know this works for standard hard drives and AFAIK it's the same for SSDs.

Make sure you don't delete OSX off the original drive until you make sure everything works properly.

3. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, ill make sure its up and running first, i wont have to format the current HDD to get rid of osx off it though will i? just delete the files?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would just erase it with Disk Utility. Deleting the files is going to take forever because you are going to have to empty the trash to do so. Erasing is much quicker. Just don't erase until after you have installed the SSD, booted, and confirmed that everything is working ok.

5. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok ive just ordered my samsung 830, im going to move my files onto a usb hdd and leave only apps and os on the current drive, clone the hard drive onto the ssd and a second mechanical hard drive as a backup for if the ssd ever fails then swap the hdd for ssd and make sure everything works.