Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I've just fitted my 2006 Core 2 Duo Macbook with a crucial M4 128gb SSD and i've also removed the CD drive and fitted a PATA connected caddy in place of my disc drive.

I've seen a lot of threads about this so i'm going to link you with everything you need. (apologies for anyone outside of the uk)

For the record, it is not BLISTERINGLY fast. Boot time is now 20 seconds from cold, apps all load instantly and wake up is milliseconds.

Worth every penny.

You will need the following caddy as the connection to the ODD is PATA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280858022800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Second hdd caddy 9.5mm SSD caddy MacBook Pro A1181 A1260 IDE PATA W4

And an SSD, i had no problems with my install so i would recommend the crucial M4 but thats up to you.

Pretty simple install. check Ifixit for details on pulling apart your mac, the one recommendation i can say is keep track of which screws go where!!!!

mykweb

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
Good work.

I have thought about thsi a few times but I occasinaly use my dvd drive. lol I have just however bought a nas to store all my stuff at home. Its just when I go away I will miss it :(

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.