FIVE defective MacBook Pros in a row...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brookzy, May 21, 2017.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

[This thread is somewhere between a rant and a seeking of other people's experiences with multiple defects... if you're expecting anything more profound, don't bother reading! :p ]

I got a good deal on a couple of UltraFine 5K displays a while ago - so good that it made it worth upgrading to a 15" MacBook Pro that could drive them!

I ordered a relatively high-end model - 2.9GHz/512GB/460.

First one arrived and the top case was mis-coloured. Here's a picture of it next to another space grey MacBook. It looks like one is silver, right? Well, they are both meant to be space grey! A few keys had a terrible high-pitched click, too. :rolleyes: Apple agrees to send me another.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

Second one arrives and the Touch Bar is tinged pink. Not a software issue. Looks terrible. Apple agrees to send me another one they've received one back. (Pictures show good one vs. tinged one.)

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Third one arrives and it won't wake from sleep. Blank screen, unresponsive. SMC, NVRAM, OS reinstall, safe mode, etc. etc. - no fix.

It occasionally also won't go to sleep, leading to me finding a melted chocolate bar in my bag one evening next to red-hot, suffocating MacBook.

It's been three weeks now, so I take this one to the Apple Store.

They have a higher-specced model in-stock. I pay the £300-ish difference to avoid waiting another week or two for a replacement to arrive from China.

Forth one - I get home, and it won't charge. "Battery is Not Charging". Sigh. Again, resets and reinstalls do not fix. It isn't the charger. It's also scratched. I drive back to the Apple Store.

unnamed-5.jpg

Fifth one - all looks good! Until I plug in my screens. Kernel Panic. And again. And again. (They worked fine with the other four.)

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 17.18.52.png

So many hours and trips wasted. I guess it just wasn't meant to be... I will return it and wait Mac-less for WWDC I guess!

In fairness, Apple's customer service has been good throughout. But this quality control is just ridiculous.

Let me hear your horror stories... or am I the only one!? :mad:

2. grahamtaustin macrumors newbie

These machines were terrible! I had nothing but problems with mine

3. Pangalactic macrumors member

Well I had just of the new MBPs and blew out my speakers with bootcamp, and one was enough for me, went to DELL XPS :D

in all seriousness, from what I've seen this is definitely the buggiest and most unrefined macbook lineup. The last gen was amazing compared to this.