Five-finger gesturing? iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iramla, Sep 13, 2014.

1. iramla macrumors newbie

Anyone know if the 6+ will support five-finger gestures like the ipad?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I hope so...makes it much easier to exit apps!

3. iOz macrumors regular

Really? Pinching five finger is easier than pushing the home button?

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Yes! Your fingers are already on the screen. Plus, it saves home-button from unnecessary wear/tear. My iPhone 5 is jailbroken with gestures to exit app, turn off phone, and bring up the task switcher.

5. iOz macrumors regular

LOL at unnecessary wear and tear on home button. Wait what about the unnecessary wear ant tear on the screen your gonna wear it out. Good grief.

6. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Ending up with a faulty home button is hardly unheard of, it is a reasonable concern.

7. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Andy Ihnatko was on Macbreak Weekly right after the event and he said he tried the iPad gestures on the 6+ to no avail... Would have liked this feature personally.

8. iramla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah darn... Thank you though. Maybe in the future.

9. iOz macrumors regular

In 7 years of iPhones never had one go bad and never known anyone who has either.
    Only seems to be a macrumors problem along with self bending iPhones.

10. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Well done you and your mates, it must be a none-issue then - phew!

11. mateo124 macrumors regular

Anything that is mechanical can and will wear out with time. Not saying it's a major concern as most people only keep their phones for around 2 years and the buttons can last tens of thousands of presses but nevertheless, it does save wear and tear and it'd be nice to have gestures available on the 6 plus.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Next to cracked screens it's the number one repair on an iPhone.

I have never had one go bad, nor do I personally know anyone who has. But honestly, I am not a very good sample size.

13. fmalloy macrumors 6502

The home buttons on both my 3G and 4 got wonky after a year or so. I had missed clicks and single clicks registered as double clicks. Also the button got more mushy and less clicky over time. This is the most used mechanical button on the phone - you're required to use it all the time. Mechanical buttons fail, and Apple doesn't use the best quality in my opinion.

I'd love to see them get rid of it completely a la Android. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.

14. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The home buttons on my 4 and 5 started to crap out after a while. The 4S had an amazing button set up, with the 4 being the worst. Home button problems on that model were just bad.

The 5s has never given me any home button issues, and I think Apple finally got the durability right on then since Touch ID is now integrated.

15. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Uh (raising hand). :cool:

I've had six iPhones dating back to original. Probably several replacements for battery, power button not working, and other things too. I've had the home button break twice.

In fact my iphone 5 has been broken for months. Ordered my iphone 6 Friday. Can't wait to have one functioning again.

Guys at Genius Bar tells me they break all the time. It's really annoying using an iphone without one. There is a virtual one in accessibility but it doesn't allow resets which is one of the reasons I believe my 5 is running so terribly. It hasn't been reset in six months.

Love when people make bold absolute statements like "home buttons never break" when that's absolutely not true.

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I have had two iPhones (4 and 4S) with bad home button after a while. So, I just use gestures most of the time. Plus, it is my preference to use the phone that way. There is no need for that "good grief" remark.