Five Finger running shoes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 26, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any runners/athletes use the fivefinger running shoes.

[​IMG]

I just picked up a pair at REI, and while trying them on, they felt weird. A number of folks swear by them at my karate class and my current running shoe just isn't cutting it in the dojo. The grippy rubber sole of the running show is affecting my moves.

Still, I'll need to get used to them, and my little toe just doesn't want to go into his little home. Its all curled up and usless so I don't think its a major issue.

For those who do use them, how snug are yours? After getting my feet measured the ones that should have fit, felt a little too snug, lifting my toes produced a tightness. The next size up felt better with that, but there's a bit of play at the tip of the toe - is that ok?

2. cube macrumors G5

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, they should be snug, but should not press on your toes.

I've had mine for over a year, and I have noticed better balance along with improved foot and ankle strength.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I tried a pair of these as well since they seem to be the "In" thing nowadays. They look weird so I was adamantly drawn to them specifically for that reason. I've heard various POV's stating that there is supposed be some wiggle room for your tootsies while others believe they're meant to be snug in order to attain the "max benefits" of the shoe :confused:

Like you, one little piggy didn't want to go in all the way and, ultimately, caused some moderate discomfort for me. I wound up returning them. That and with a size 12, you could see BigFoot tracks wherever I went. Weird, but in a good way. Perhaps not all feet are not meant to wear these shoes. If you haven't already, you might wanna look at the Nike Free's as those are pretty comfy and work well for me at the gym.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Some folks go barefoot and that was my next option.
    My running shoes just weren't cutting it. I could have opted for karate/martial art type shoes which have no tread on their soul but these look like a better option

Thanks, the smaller size was pressing against my toes and that's what felt uncomfortable. So while they are a bit snug there's some wiggle room at the tip of the toes.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah I saw those as well, and I agree with you. I'll give these a shot first and see how they work not only in the dojo, but outside running.

8. cube macrumors G5

"Some"? Barefoot is the way martial arts should be done. I hope it's a proper wooden floor.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've got the Merrell barefoot shoes, and like them quite a lot. They're much less 'obtrusive' than the Five-Fingers, and they fit my (weirdly shaped) toes (since there are no individual toe-holes) while still giving lots of the same benefits.

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm quite tempted to get these.

I play Ultimate Frisbee a lot and eventually playing barefoot will do more damage than the several beestings I've gotten so far ;)

Plus, it seems this would be the closest to barefoot I could get and still be able to run.

I do not necessarily hate shoes, but I do love being barefoot haha!

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only one or two folks go barefoot. The Dojo has a rubber mat floor, you the know kind, the ones that look like an interlocking puzzle

We also do some work outside of the dojo which is concrete so that's a little dicey on barefeet.

Whether we should be barefoot, is not is not my call. I go and learn, and I'm content, not worrying if my particular dojo is following strict form and protocol.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The human foot has evolved over several millennia. I'd rather trust nature when it comes to these things.

13. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I liked the look of the leather KSO Trek, but they did not have my size, and the soles felt a little unpleasant, so I got the sport (would have got the classic, but the heel was a bit too mobile, you really need the strap).

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I did martial arts for a few years but we always had a hard foam padding over a wood floor. Ive never heard of doing martial arts with tennis shoes on though.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

From what little I've read the biggest thing is to get the big toe independent of the other toes so I don't think having the last two toes in a 'mitten' would be that detracting.

You and me both. If you are wearing shoes you can't learn how to properly strike w/the balls of your feet. Of course I guess the counter argument is if you get into a fight odds are you will be wearing shoes so there is a benefit to training in shoes. Still seems weird to me though. Since running shoes are designed for such a linear motion they must suck for any sort of pivoting or spinning maneuver.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I agree completely with this, though I don't use them for running (wrecked my knees running years ago :eek:).

I have several pairs, actually, because I find them so comfortable. I have the classics, bikila LS, trek (I think it's called, tougher/thicker sole for trekking), jayala, and most recently flow for when I'm on the water. They are comfortable and give me a much more secure feeling in that I can feel the surface under my feet. I used to have a lot of trouble with weak ankles, but this disappears when I wear my five fingers.

I use them at home, at work, long plane or car trips (they are GREAT for comfortable travel) and for walking outside as long as the weather allows it. I sometime use Injinji socks in them, but most of the time nothing.

Trust the fitting charts and measure the way they tell you to, but it can also be worthwhile to google reviews for a particular model. That's how I learned the the black classics for women tend to run a tad larger.

18. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I have a pair of these but have ended up only using them as sandals and shoes for short runs. They are basically no to me on loose pebbly ground.

They are really great though, I would recommend at least trying a pair.

19. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I use the KSO Trek for trail running, they power through dirt, mud, and various debris. Bikilas for running on streets.

My only complaint about the Bikilas is the treads don't seem to hold up as well as I would like. I ran a half-marathon in a new pair and small areas of the treading on them were worn smooth. I thought they would last a little longer but you have to consider that the tread has to be light and flexible so it can't have deep thick treads like regular running shoes, so they will wear down easily. A guy on my running group cuts up small pieces of tire treads and glues them to the bottom of his Bikilas and says that works great and extends their lifetime considerably.

Overall, they are a great product.