Five Interesting Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - June 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2018

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apps developed for the Mac often don't receive as much attention as apps made for iOS devices, so we've been doing a monthly series here at MacRumors that highlights useful, interesting Mac apps that are worth checking out and investing in.

This month's picks include apps for revamping your dock, finding duplicate files, keeping track of your copy paste history, tweeting quickly from the desktop, and more. Many of our highlighted apps this week were chosen by MacRumors forum members.

[*]uBar ($30) - uBar is a dock replacement, app manager, and window organizer that's designed for the Mac. You can configure the uBar as a dock, with apps of your choice, or as a task bar for doing things like quickly accessing Finder options. Apps in the dock will let you know how many windows are open, and you can enable features like window previews. uBar is expandable, re-positionable, resizable, and supports multiple monitors. The app is $30, but a free 14 day trial is available.
    [*]Gemini 2 ($19.99) - Gemini 2 is an app from MacPaw that's designed to help you find and manage all duplicate and similar files on your machine. It is ideal for cleaning up your music library and your photo library to clear up space on your Mac. A free trial is available.
    [*]Paste ($14.99) - Paste is a copy paste manager that keeps track of and organizes all of the files, photos, website URLs, and text snippets that you've copied and pasted on your Mac and other devices. Paste is described as a sort of Time Machine for your clipboard, because it saves everything and offers robust search capabilities so you can always find what you're looking for. Pinboards give you access to things you copy and paste often, while custom shortcuts make it easier to copy and paste. Paste is a Mac App Store app, but a free trial is also available on the Paste website.
    [*]Tweetfast ($1.99) - Tweetfast is a Twitter for Mac client that's gives you a menu bar widget for quickly composing and sharing tweets on the social network without having to switch to a full Twitter client or the Twitter website. It's simple, quick, and has a dark mode so it's macOS Mojave ready.
    [*]Infinity Dashboard ($14.99) - Infinity Dashboard is a smart little app that's designed to let you track and monitor anything, from your wife's birthday to the weather at your upcoming vacation spot to the current price of Bitcoin. There are 35 built-in modules for tracking weather, travel times, website stacks, stock prices, social network metrics, and more, and you can also write your own custom modules. Some modules, like price trackers, support notifications, and there are several design themes to choose from. A free trial is available.
    If you have a favorite must-have Mac app that we haven't highlighted yet, let us know in the comments, and we might feature it in a future video. Many of this month's app picks came directly from recommendations from our forum members, and it's these recommendations that have helped make this series useful.

For more of our Mac app picks, make sure to check out our Mac app archives.

Article Link: Five Interesting Mac Apps Worth Checking Out - June 2018

2. Mikey44 macrumors regular

Mikey44

UBar appears to be $30 dollars rather than $15. $15 dollars is the upgrade price.

3. ignatius345, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 68020

A: "When did you two meet?"

B: "Here! Log into my web dashboard and you can track it in real-time!"

A: [backs away slowly]

web-sharing.png

4. rrm74001 macrumors 6502

rrm74001

Also, how can an anniversary be more than 12 months away?

5. Mikey44 macrumors regular

Mikey44

Time travel. That's how.

6. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Could be a specific special anniversary like a 25th I suppose. :)

7. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

It says “wedding anniversary”. I’ll pass.

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Little Snitch and 1Password are my main two that I use most.

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

Paste looks good... Everyone would, at some point, need to copy the same thing

uBar looks like a re-skin of Windows Start menu, but for the Mac... It would still have it uses.

I've also used Gremlin 2 before, and its not perfect... but it helps on millions on files.. Finally get ya photo library cleared :)

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I love that there are these great Mac apps, but I don't purchase any because I've had all my needs met for a long time. I wish there were something that appealed to me because I'd like to support them.

I feel like there are a few things going on. The 1980s heralded desktop publishing. Then there was the Web age which came around the same time as the multimedia CD-ROM age. Then there were apps for MP3s (eventually iTunes), and apps for creating media (iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand) along with the apps for organizing/managing your devices (iTunes, iSync, iPhoto). But all those devices are now self-servicing. And all multi-media stuff can easily be consumed on the web, or can be shared/edited from the same mobile devices from which it's captured. Web-page creation is sort of now only for pros or it's done through blogging template sites (oh how I miss GoLive--one of my favorite apps of all time). There's no real big "era" of software right now filling a need on the desktop.

When I have had to send my MBP in for repairs, I've used a Chromebook and been able to play my music from Spotify, watch Netflix, and edit documents in Google Docs. The MBP is certainly nicer for those things, but the Web being so capable has probably made native applications less necessary than they used to be. In some cases even with media, I find the Web superior. For example, scrubbing video in QuickTime is a pain. I can more easily scrub video in YouTube. And selecting clips to trim in QuickTime is also bafflingly difficult (why doesn't the playhead remain in place when you drag the yellow sliders?).

Anyhow, after being so dreary about apps, my favorites are: Chrome (bloated but works well), Spotify (love the UI), EvoCam (simple to use, unfortunately no longer supported), Sleepytime (turns off music/sound in various apps after a certain time when you're going to bed), F.lux for my sensitive pupils, Chroma (for controlling my Philips Hue lights), OneDrive (my current online storage of choice--to be honest, Google Drive, OneDrive, and DropBox seem identical to me--just using this now because I have 1 TB free through my dad's subscription to Office), Microsoft Word (it's still the best for word processing), Pages (the best for page layout--I make pretty elaborate invitations, etc., with this--but it is wretched for word processing), Pixelmator (I generally use this for making titles in iMovie), iMovie (which I actually really don't like anymore--iMovie 6 HD was the last version I really enjoyed, but it's what I still use in spite of it seeming much less user friendly than it used to), DaisyDisk (for finding what is mysteriously taking up disk space), and Tidepool Uploader (an app that interfaces with tidepool.org and lets you upload data from various blood glucose monitors and continuous glucose monitors and has an infinitely better interface than ones included with the products--if you have diabetes you should give it a try).

11. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Paste is pretty new to me. But it's worth it, and good to save c/p over the devices. And save some on pinboards.
    Like it more on iOS though.

12. coolfactor macrumors 601

... and there's no way I'm paying even a single dollar to make my Mac look more like Windows with its Task Bar! :p

13. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

14. coolfactor macrumors 601

I'm subscribed to SetApp and get a few of these apps included. Of course, it comes with the monthly "tax" payment to keep using them.

15. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Maybe he's mad at her so skipping the next one. :D

I tried uBar (comes with Setapp), but it seems to be about making the dock look and work like the Windows task bar. So by the time I configured uBar the way I liked it... it was hardly any different to the OS X Dock. :)

16. RudySnow Suspended

RudySnow

Do people still use Macs?

Apple/Cook must be disappointed.

17. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I actually quite like this copy/paste app. Never heard of it before, so thank you for a good find!

Feels very native and quite natural to use.

Attached Files:

18. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

19. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Paste is a must-have for me when setting up a Mac. It looks great, it works well, there is nothing to complain about.

I’ve got it set to CTRL + V so it’s similar to the system paste and then I can queue up a bunch of things when I’m moving or copying bits of code around to try things out in my projects. It’s great for developers and is sometimes even useful when I’m doing design work and moving assets around between documents or vectors in illustrations.

It helps me keep everything balanced while my platter piles up as I run around multitasking. Then I don’t have to worry about putting what I’ve got in my clipboard where it needs to go (or into TextEdit to hold it—we’ve all done it before) before addressing a more urgent task that has come up. I’ve tried a few different clipboard managers over the years and this one has stuck because it’s effortless and has a slick design that feels like it’s a part of macOS. The developers also keep it updated often.

20. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

It's the length of time SINCE the wedding. Not UNTIL the next anniversary. The "known wife since" may be confusing since one may ASSume they've been married the entire time.

21. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502a

uBar... just... no.

Honestly? I hate Windows. It rally lacks polish and a LOT of usability features. The taskbar being one of the WORST examples!
    What IS actually good about Windows is:
    a) Aero Snap
    b) Window previews
    For this I recommend an App called HyperDock. This brings actually useful functionality to the Mac... but uBar... is just an abomination.

22. Chester Stone macrumors newbie

Chester Stone

How about highlighting apps that actually let you create something rather than merely consuming? I really like the idea behind this series, but we really don't need to hear about yet another Twitter client, yet another file manager, yet another pastebot, yet another dock & bar extension...

How about something like...
    • Scrivener that helps writers compose books & articles;
    • Acorn that helps designers create icons for their apps;
    • Aseprite for helping spriters create pixel art;
    • Blocs for building websites WYSIWYG;
    • Transmit for moving content to remote servers;
    • PaintCode 3 for crafting animations and then translating them to code?

Focus on the creators for once, instead of more consumer crap. God forbid the world needing people to tweet faster... The world won't benefit from one more tweet, there is enough noise and chatter without it. >_>

23. Baletin macrumors regular

Gemmini is overpriced graphic gimmick. Use Duplicate File Finder instead.

24. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

The Creatives all left the platform when it became apparent Apple didn't care about them anymore. The userbase is increasingly just people using Macs because they are trying to escape Windows 10 and were caught in the "halo effect" from having bought iPhones and iPads. In short: consumers.

25. jasonsmith_88 macrumors regular

Although Spotlight has been steadily improving over the years, LaunchBar still kills it. So much faster, more indexing options, nice baked-in features like Instant Send and Clipboard History.

BetterTouchTool for window snapping and custom shortcuts.

iStat Menus for monitoring your machine at a glance.