Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over on our YouTube channel, we have an ongoing video series that's designed to highlight new, interesting, and useful iOS apps that we think are worth downloading and checking out

There are so many apps in the iOS App Store that it can be hard to find new apps and it's also easy to overlook great apps that are a bit older. Our app lists include both new and old apps that we recommend and have tested out.

[*]Movies Anywhere (Free) - The Movies Anywhere app isn't new, but it might be new to some. It's basically an app that brings all of your movies together into one spot so you can see your whole media catalog at once. If you have DVDs with digital codes from VUDU, content from iTunes, and content from Amazon, you can get to it in one spot, plus you can rent and buy new movies.
[*]Libby (Free) - You might not know this, but if you have a library card in the United States, you can likely access a whole collection of eBooks and audiobooks that can be checked out through Libby. Libby supports a whole wide range of libraries and makes it easy for you to find and borrow books and place holds on content. You can send books to your Kindle or read right in the Libby app.
[*]Madden NFL Mobile (Free) - Madden Mobile was updated for the 2019 season recently, and if you're not familiar with it, the game is meant to let you take on the role of an NFL GM as you take your team to the Super Bowl and play through dynamic NFL seasons. You can choose your NFL franchise, sign players, complete daily tasks, and face off with NFL superstars. It's free, but there are in-app purchases.
[*]Archero (Free) - Archero is a fun little archery game where the goal is to use a bow and arrow to defeat wave after wave of monsters. It's simple but engrossing, and you'll run into all kinds of enemies while using unique skills to blast them into oblivion. Archero is free, but has in-app purchases.
[*]Spotify Stations (Free) - Spotify Stations is a standalone Spotify app that came out earlier this year. It's designed to let you create radio stations based on your favorite songs and artists, much like Pandora. Radio stations in Spotify aren't new, but Spotify Stations makes the feature a lot easier to use.

Have a favorite iOS app? Let us know in the comments. We're always looking for new iOS app ideas for this video series, and we'll check out your suggestions. You can check out our recommendations from previous months here, and don't miss our similar Mac app series featuring great Mac apps worth downloading.

Article Link: Five iOS Apps Worth Checking Out - August 2019

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Libby is superb. I use it on my iPhone X and my iPad Mini, it syncs my progress either way, it’s a very polished native app on that works beautifully on either device.

The UI is great, the reader settings are great. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Synced it with my local library card, all totally free.

Only downside: I feel bad for having bought so few books from Powell’s lately.

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I use Libby's "sister" app Overdrive for audio books. I read on the site that there are no plans to make Libby CarPlay compatible so I haven't really looked into it. The site says they are looking into making Overdrive work with CarPlay, but it doesn't quite do it yet. I have learned that if I start listening before I plug my phone into CarPlay, then Overdrive works with the Now Playing CarPlay screen. It pauses for calls or text and resumes when done. However if you stop the car, then you need to unplug, start listening again and plug it back in to resume using the app in CarPlay.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I’d never heard of Stations as a Spotify standalone app. As a longtime user of Spotify (since 2011, before they even had a mobile app) I’ve got to say that I LOVE it.

You can create a station by any artist you want, but unlike Spotify (if you’re a free user), it doesn’t shuffle with other artists. You can make it play ONLY music from that particular artist in the station. That’s amazing for a free feature and I am loving it. On Spotify, you’ll get the artist + other similar artists mixed in, even if you shuffle play an album. So in this way Stations is almost better.

I love the user interface too. Very clean and easy to understand, a nice minimal design. You can add in other artists to the stations if you’d like...and again it will only play THOSE artists. Or you can turn it on to play similar artists, like you’d get on Pandora or something. It’s all fully customizable.

This app is kind of blowing my mind right now, lol. Love it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.