Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Purely on 16 and not the Pro, Pretty much everything remains the same. A capture button, new alignment of camera. Same Modem, WiFi 6E instead of WiFI 6. The only difference is possibly A18, which will have the necessary hardware for the generative AI features.

So arguably, A18, and that's it.

I hope they could at least make 256GB as the entry Storage and starting the same price at $799.

Reactions: miq

goro123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
I pointed this out to someone the other day who questioned why it would be iPhone 16 exclusive if most AI is cloud based. And what people need to understand is that a web based service like ChatGPT or Google Gemini is only possible because it's processed on powerful servers that are capable of advanced neural networks. And these servers take up a lot of physical space. Shifting and shrinking this processing on a phone would be very impressive.
It's the training part of LLM which requires the biggest cloud infrastructure. Executing a prompt on an LLM requires much less processing power, so there could be a feasibility of running it directly on device - but then it exclude less powerful device.

I am mostly worried about the HomePods. That's where I use Siri the most and where the improvements to Siri would be more than welcome.

Apple could also provide "both" : latest iPhones can run some queries directly on device and older ones need a network access.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Waiting to hear more about the Capture button. As for the non Pro models, really hope that the colours are brighter this year.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
iPhones need to become wider, not longer. The width defines how large text and photos appear. Not everybody wants to us his iPhone with a single hand.
If the Pro Max isn't big enough, might an iPad be more suitable? I can use a Pro Max one handed. The inconvenience of not being able to use a phone one handed would be too much for me to tolerate. When walking about you often only have one hand free to check it.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004

Apple has camera changes in store for all of the iPhone 16 models. For the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus, there will be a new vertical lens arrangement that does away with the diagonal arrangement Apple has used for the last several years...
This will be the Apple differentiator that separates the plebs from the au Courant. Diagonal cameras will be embarrassing.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
iPhone is a not used by photography enthusiasts. That’s Apple marketing.

And if you replaced your DSLR rig with an iPhone I’d suggest that you are not a photography enthusiast anymore yourself.

Finally, to reiterate, high profile online content creators are not using iPhones to shoot video. Photography enthusiasts and professionals are not shooting with iPhone. Apple dearly wants you to believe that they are, but they aren’t.

I really don’t know why you appear to dislike dedicated cameras so much and it seems weird that you’re inclined to deny that a growing market continues to exist for dedicated enthusiast cameras. The entire Fuji product lineup and the Nikon Zfc take serious issue with that.
The iPhone cannot and does not replace cameras, the full frame is superior in every way.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
At this point there is close to zero new tech coming to smartphones every year. No need to upgrade every year of even every two or three years. What's more is that Apple particularly stopped innovating which is also a reason I switched brands completely.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
If the Pro Max isn't big enough, might an iPad be more suitable? I can use a Pro Max one handed. The inconvenience of not being able to use a phone one handed would be too much for me to tolerate. When walking about you often only have one hand free to check it.
One handed use is one of the reasons why so many display are shattered. I prefer holding the phone firmly in one hand and use the other hand for touching the display. For any multitouch gestures you need a second hand anyway.

My current phone still is the Mi Max 3, which is much wider than the largest iPhone.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Looking forward to Apple locking AI features into the new 16 Pro models only, for, reasons, it will be cloud based as if it isn‘t it just won’t be as good or work well. A tiny single battery powered Arm chip just isn‘t as powerful as a building full of floors of racks of powerful multi core servers running advanced software and OS on ultra fast networks. We shall see though.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Same. I think I'll end up replacing the battery in my 13PM and go another 2-3 years with it.

Then after that, I'll start buying iPhones in new condition but they'll be 1-2 year old models. Gone are the days when I cared about cutting-edge features... The 13 series onward's been "good enough" for me. I could easily afford new releases, but I can't justify that amount of cash on a phone anymore. I'd rather use it for other things.

I got a refurbished 14 Pro Max the other month, I did have a refurb 13 Pro and upgraded for the bigger screen as it helps my eyes lol, but I went with the 14 for the new Dynamic Island! That was the most exciting thing for me about it. As it’s something different to all the other iPhones. But going forward I’m only buying refurb, save a load of cash too. And I don’t care for these minimalist ‘new’ features.
I just looked at Apples 1000 and above pricing and although I could save and afford it, every time I thought about it something in my mind was blocking me, it’s just too expensive for a phone.

Reactions: Mr Fusion

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Actually, dedicated cameras are starting to experience a comeback. I know you don’t believe it but they are.

Regardless, if Apple is serious about photography, they should make a stand alone camera. There’s a limit to what anyone can do with a camera that’s built into a phone. Apple has already reached it and exceeded it in a negative way by applying too much processing to the images. This suggests to me that Apple is NOT serious about photography at all. They just want to have a phone that makes pictures with bright colors so people will buy more of them.

PS: TikTok made the Fuji X-100v into a MASSIVE success. People do use dedicated cameras for social media. You’re working off of outdated talking points regarding photography and social media content creators.

Apple DID make stand alone digital cameras:

IMG_0072.jpeg IMG_0073.jpeg

I wouldn’t expect them to return to that market anytime soon though. I think they are quite happy making camera phones.

Reactions: xmach and miq

MacTwick

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
Hoping the increase in size isn't true. I've been wanting the Pro Max size for a few years now because of the longer battery life, but haven't gotten it because of how large the phone is and small my hands are haha. If it gets even bigger I'll probably have to get the regular Pro size. We'll have to wait and see in-store

Reactions: xmach and miq

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
Unfortunately? Huh? What do you people want?
Consistency. Simplicity.
Remember when there was only 1 iphone? And it was the best version, and was only $500?
That really wasn't that long ago. Now all their product lineups are a mess.... It's like Samsung out here.

Reactions: ric22

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
I pointed this out to someone the other day who questioned why it would be iPhone 16 exclusive if most AI is cloud based. And what people need to understand is that a web based service like ChatGPT or Google Gemini is only possible because it's processed on powerful servers that are capable of advanced neural networks. And these servers take up a lot of physical space. Shifting and shrinking this processing on a phone would be very impressive.

Just for context, when you ask ChatGPT a question, it's processed on something like this-

29bca7d7a9026c25b9d681ccbc15ad58.jpg
Talk about a waste of resources.

• Wow

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
One handed use is one of the reasons why so many display are shattered. I prefer holding the phone firmly in one hand and use the other hand for touching the display. For any multitouch gestures you need a second hand anyway.

My current phone still is the Mi Max 3, which is much wider than the largest iPhone.
So if you're walking the dog you have to let go of the leash to text? If you're shopping you must put the bags down to check the football scores? Yes, a small risk of dropping occurs (the smaller the hands the bigger the risk), but it's not an awful risk.

For a multi touch gesture I still happily use one hand, but tend to stop walking to make sure I have a steady grip and no one will bump into me. I can't recall the last time I ever dropped a phone. (No, I do not have small hands.)

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
iPhone is a not used by photography enthusiasts. That’s Apple marketing.

And if you replaced your DSLR rig with an iPhone I’d suggest that you are not a photography enthusiast anymore yourself.

Finally, to reiterate, high profile online content creators are not using iPhones to shoot video. Photography enthusiasts and professionals are not shooting with iPhone. Apple dearly wants you to believe that they are, but they aren’t.

I really don’t know why you appear to dislike dedicated cameras so much and it seems weird that you’re inclined to deny that a growing market continues to exist for dedicated enthusiast cameras. The entire Fuji product lineup and the Nikon Zfc take serious issue with that.
WTF, stop making things up.
Some photography enthusiasts ARE using iPhone.

WHERE did I say I replaced my DSLR with an iPhone? WHERE did I say I dislike dedicated cameras?

You're living in your own reality, enjoy it.

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Apple should make a dedicated camera and stop replying on iPhone for that.

Can't WAIT for the Camera Pro. :rolleyes:

(In some ways a professional digital camera would make sense. But it is a crowded and mature market. And like the other genuine pro market offerings of the last many years, I'd have a low bar expecting a half to botched effort, and the thing canceled after five years of no updates.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.