Five keys randomly stop working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fustrate, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Fustrate macrumors newbie

For the last week, five of the keys on my keyboard have stopped working intermittently: escape, tilde, tab, F2, and 2. Every other key works, but none of those 5 keys works or will show up in the Keyboard Viewer for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, then they suddenly start working again.

I've run every diagnostic I can think of, but I'm afraid something might be wrong with the wiring or something like that. The backlight works on every key and nothing feels different when they're pressed.

Before I take it in for an out-of-warranty repair, I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem. A quick search of both the forum and Google has turned up nothing useful, so here I am. Being a developer who can't press the tab key is an exercise in futility...

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I ran into this problem or similar. C, V, and B stopped working. Sometimes they would work but most times they wouldn't. I took it in for warranty repair. After a few too many questions verifying I didn't spill any liquids on the keyboard, they replaced the board.