Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
My house always charges with clean energy, either through solar panels, wind, hydro, or portable battery. But I don't understand how it will know where the power is coming from.

I would rather they make it harder to move the icons around and remove the ability to change the wallpaper/layout from the lock screen. Plus give us an option to turn the screen off, although the 14 pro max does seem to turn off the screen at times.

I haven't found too many other problems yet though.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
But if everyone did it, the change would be huge. A $5.00 'fee' on a cellphone bill isn't a show stopper, but multiplied by ALL of their customers, that small 'fee' is HUGE MONEY! Just the idea that if people turned the lights off in rooms when they leave can save pennies on their electric bill also means the energy usage for the planet drops by a surprising amount. So is turning off the lights really that much of a burden? Is it really that hard to see that little things multiplied by millions of people have a huge effect?

I get the negativity. I do, but the last thing I will say on this thread is the time to work for fire safety is not while your house is burning to the ground. Its too late. The time to work to save your family is not remembering you need to replace the smoke alarm batteries as your house is burning to the ground.

It is entirely likely that if we stopped everything that contributes to climate change, it will take decades to see any effect. Ironically the one thing that might give more weight to doing it now is the pandemic. The nations that closed down the most showed dramatic positive changes in their local environment. Changes that were reversed (and then some in many cases) when they started recovering from their pandemic experiences.

We really could attenuate the effects of our reckless past. Attenuation might be our only hope. Slow the end down. An uninhabitable Earth is in our future. Can't we agree to at least try to give ourselves a little more time?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My house always charges with clean energy, either through solar panels, wind, hydro, or portable battery. But I don't understand how it will know where the power is coming from.

I would rather they make it harder to move the icons around and remove the ability to change the wallpaper/layout from the lock screen. Plus give us an option to turn the screen off, although the 14 pro max does seem to turn off the screen at times.

I haven't found too many other problems yet though.

I was inundated with offers of 'cheap natural gas' when I was running my business. I asked one persistent company if that meant that I would have to have a different gas hookup for the building. 'Well, no. That's what makes this so cool!'.

They add their gas to the pipeline (somehow, maybe magic?) and as I consume the natural gas in the pipes, I am consuming 'their gas' which is mixed with all of the other suppliers in that pipeline. So I asked What happens if I use more gas? 'Well, we charge you for our gas that you used.' Yeah, but how does my furnace know that it's your gas? How does my stove know it's your gas? Magic? How do you know to put more of 'my gas' into the lines as I'm using it?

Like magic, they stopped calling, or sending me offers...

It's an 'offset' system, and I don't mean to pee on that parade because adding sustainable energy to the grid is important, but that one gas company making it sound like 'their gas' was somehow different than other suppliers gas was just kind of nuts. I'm also not comparing apples to apples. They are contributing the same energy potential with a lower effect on the environment. The gas company was just marketing their 'subscription plans'. *shrug*

Cisco07

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2022
Im glad Apple finally brought back that battery percentage they took out after the lame iphone X came out. I hope we could customize our home screen and the icons maybe a better notification bar too. No notch thats a good thing too but sucks they only did it to one phone. Apple always trying to make money with slow progress.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Im glad Apple finally brought back that battery percentage they took out after the lame iphone X came out. I hope we could customize our home screen and the icons maybe a better notification bar too. No notch thats a good thing too but sucks they only did it to one phone. Apple always trying to make money with slow progress.

I thought there was a hack to bring it back?

robbyking

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2021
“Clean energy charging” sounds like some kind of psychology experiment in virtue signaling. The option probably doesn’t even do anything, but Apple will be able to predict things about your behavior based on whether or not you have it enabled.
“Sounds like?” “Probably” doesn’t do anything? So you’re just talking out of your ass?

• Love

PoliBey

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Apka Centarui B

In a few weeks, Apple will release iOS 16.1 for all compatible iPhones, marking the first major update to the iOS 16 operating system since its public release in September.

iOS-16.1-Purple-Feature.jpg

With iOS 16.1, Apple is bringing several new changes, features, and bug fixes to iPhone users. We've highlighted five noteworthy changes below. iOS 16.1 is currently still in beta testing with developers and public beta testers.

Live Activities

ios-16-live-activities-uber.jpg

With iOS 16.1, Apple is enabling Live Activities on the redesigned iOS 16 Lock Screen and on the Dynamic Island on the iPhone 14 Pro. Live Activities are a new type of interactive notification that can dynamically display real-time information from apps without needing to open an app directly.

Uber, for example, can display a Live Activities notification on the iOS 16 Lock Screen to show the estimated time of arrival of a car. Sports apps will also be able to utilize Live Activities to showcase game scores in real time.

On the latest iPhone 14 Pro models, Live Activities are also integrated into the Dynamic Island, which allows users to see real-time information from apps as they use their phone. Live Activities are also shown on the Lock Screen in always-on display mode. Once iOS 16.1 is released to the public, apps will begin to adopt support for Live Activities.

Redesigned Battery Indicator

ios-16-1-beta-2-battery.jpg

Over the summer, Apple added a battery percentage indicator to the status bar for iPhones with a notch. The initial version of the battery indicator included a battery icon that remained visually full, regardless of the iPhone's actual charge. In iOS 16.1, Apple is changing the behavior of the battery icon to accurately reflect the iPhone's charge level when the percentage is shown. iOS 16.1 also expands the battery indicator to more devices, including the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 13 mini.

Apple Fitness+ With Just an iPhone

Apple-Fitness-Plus-iPhone-14-Pro.jpg

Starting with iOS 16.1, iPhone users will be able to subscribe and use Apple Fitness+ without needing an Apple Watch. Fitness+ is a subscription from Apple that provides a wide catalog of workout videos and programs with different trainers. At launch, an Apple Watch was needed to use Fitness+ to display real-time metrics on the screen.

Clean Energy Charging Option

clean-energy-charging-ios.jpg

In iOS 16.1, Apple has added a new Clean Energy Charging Option that selectively charges the iPhone when lower carbon emission electricity is available in an effort to provide a more green charging method. Apple says the ‌iPhone‌ will still reach a full charge before it's needed based on a user's daily routine, and the feature can be toggled off if desired.

Pre-Load In-App Content

ios-16.1-beta-3-app-content-toggle.jpg

iOS 16.1 adds a new toggle for apps downloaded from the App Store that can automatically run newly downloaded apps in the background to download content before you first launch them. The new toggle is meant to make it faster for users to begin using an app immediately after downloading without waiting for the in-app content to load.

More

iOS 16.1 is the first major update to iOS 16, so as expected, several smaller but noteworthy changes and bug fixes are included in the update.

• Redesigned Wallpaper section within Settings
  • Constant Copy and Paste prompt has been fixed
  • Includes the groundwork for the smart home standard Matter and Emergency SOS via Satellite
  • Ability to delete the Wallet app

Article Link: Five New Features Coming to Your iPhone With iOS 16.1 Later This Month
Why would they need to allow Wallet deletion. Tickets, even drivers licenses can be stored there. It is not an optional app. Unnecessary waste of developer resources p.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Why would they need to allow Wallet deletion. Tickets, even drivers licenses can be stored there. It is not an optional app. Unnecessary waste of developer resources p.

It does seem kind of odd. I have been surprised at how many things are automagically shuffled into Wallet. Since I know how to use it and it doesn't frighten me, I guess, it's a pretty easy app to live with. Sure other apps will likely popup to compete against Apple's Wallet app, deleting it never entered my mind. Maybe more apps should be open to be deleted. Like Settings. Make it so people can delete that app, I mean, who needs it anyway. ;) It's just taking up space.

Reactions: PoliBey

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Seriously don’t see the point of changing the battery indicator to show visually how full it is if you have the percentage showing, that just makes it look worse and less readable.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Seriously don’t see the point of changing the battery indicator to show visually how full it is if you have the percentage showing, that just makes it look worse and less readable.

It certainly is redundant. Doesn't look very 'elegant'. If I want to know the approximate percentage, I can pull down the screen from the upper right (Control Center). It's not that hard. Yeah, putting the numbers there also does seem kind of weird. *shrug* They have to change something because they can.

ijordano

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Can anyone share if they've fixed the issues with voice notes in iMessage not recording?

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
The average daily engergy consumption for U.S. residential customers is 29,400 Wh. The iPhone 14 Pro Max has a battery capacity of 16.75 Wh.

If you fully drain and charge your iPhone twice a day, congratulations: by using the Clean Energy setting, you've reduced your carbon footprint by no more than 0.12%. (That maximum reduction would require that 100% of grid energy production during the clean energy time is carbon-free, 0% of the energy production during other times is carbon-free, and that if it weren't for this Clean Energy setting that 100% of your charging would be done during non-clean energy times).

Doing nothing for the planet, one virtue signal at a time.

Passing a law banning the use of cloths dryer would be more helpful for sure. Most people around the world dry their cloths under the sun.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Clean energy charging? What does that even mean, and how does Apple know what my electricity company is doing? Whats next, you can only charge iphone when you have Apple approved "green" electric company providing the electricity to your home? I mean virtue signalling is one thing, but this is either dumb or super Orwellian.
I’m sure that was asked for by a lot of people. It may not be much, but multiplied by the number of iPhones, it would be a large number. I guess the young men who “roll coal” and spew a big back cloud are just “virtue signaling” though. The last coal transportation we had was until diesel engines took over, about 1920.

Derfymer

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
The re-design battery indicator looks very nice. Hopefully, iOS 16.1 stops the battery drainage.
The battery on my 14 pro max is less than the battery on my 13 pro max and I doubt redesigning the icon will fix that. The new wallpaper is the biggest culprit as far as I can tell. Always on display I can’t even imagine using that. $1500 for a phone in 2022 and I’m embarrassed for Apple with this kind of battery life.

Derfymer

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Fix the battery issue guys this is ridiculous that my band new phone doesn’t last all day and I’m not even using the main features from the last update.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Passing a law banning the use of cloths dryer would be more helpful for sure. Most people around the world dry their cloths under the sun.
You wouldn't need to ban clothes dryers to have a bigger impact. Running your clothes dryer three or four times consumes more electricity than fully recharging an iPhone 14 Pro Max twice a day, every day, for a year.

So, refrain from running your dryer once every three or four months, and you've already done more than this setting could do in unrealistically idea conditions.

I really don't think people realize how little electricity their phones consume. Even when you show them the facts, they'll still deny it.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
The average daily engergy consumption for U.S. residential customers is 29,400 Wh. The iPhone 14 Pro Max has a battery capacity of 16.75 Wh.

If you fully drain and charge your iPhone twice a day, congratulations: by using the Clean Energy setting, you've reduced your carbon footprint by no more than 0.12%. (That maximum reduction would require that 100% of grid energy production during the clean energy time is carbon-free, 0% of the energy production during other times is carbon-free, and that if it weren't for this Clean Energy setting that 100% of your charging would be done during non-clean energy times).

Doing nothing for the planet, one virtue signal at a time.
Multiply that by a billion or so phones, and it might actually make a difference. If only there were a billion iPhones in the wild... Oh, wait...

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Multiply that by a billion or so phones, and it might actually make a difference. If only there were a billion iPhones in the wild... Oh, wait...
Somebody else already made this point, and it's still wrong. It would still make no more than 0.12% difference. And realistically, it would never make close to that. If every person on the planet reduces their carbon emissions by 0.12%, the total, global carbon emission reduction is 0.12%.

We don't have a problem that energy usage and carbon emissions are 0.12% too high.

Sticking with just the United States, where there are about 120 million iPhones in use, if we assume/pretend that before this feature, all charging would be done from fossil fuel derived electricity (i.e., no nuclear, solar, wind, or hydro), and that after this feature arrives, 100% of charging would be done via solar, wind, or hydro*, and we further assume that each person consumes 33.5 Wh to charge their iPhones daily (two complete recharge cycles on an iPhone 14 Pro Max), then the total carbon reduction would be equivalent to removing 4 gigawatt-hours of electricity generation from the nation's grid. That sounds like a lot, right? It's not.

That's equivalent to taking every US fossil fuel power plant (total 2021 output: 2,504,000 GWh or 6,860 GWh per day) offline for 50 seconds each day

If you're still thinking, wow, the air would be so much cleaner if we could only shut off every fossil fuel power plan for less than a minute each day…well, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise, as you're obviously not persuaded by facts.

* I leave off nuclear here, because it is a source of around-the-clock electricity, so scheduling your charging time is not relevant.

Last edited:

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Let me emphasize that to get to that 0.12% overall reduction in carbon emissions, it doesn't require one billion iPhone users to make this change, it requires everyone who uses electricity—including Android users and those without phones—to make an equivalent change.

So not only does a 0.12% reduction not matter, you're never going to see a reduction any where close to that.

If that's too hard to comprehend or believe, I hope you can at least understand this: If everyone in the world got a 1% raise, it doesn't mean that global income increased by 7.7 billion percent; it means it increased by 1%.

The same thing applies to a global reduction of carbon emissions; 0.12% multiplied by one billion phones might be a large absolute number, but as I've said before, no one will notice a 0.12% reduction in carbon emissions. Not you, not the polar bears, not the planet.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to post one more comment on this before I give up (since some people obviously don't care about facts).

The actual reduction in CO2 output because of this feature will be zero. Not "almost zero" or "for all practical purposes, zero". But precisely zero.

The reason is that a 0.12% reduction in demand (if this would achieve this, which it won't) doesn't translate to a 0.12% reduction in power generation. It's power generation that emits CO2 (and other pollutants), not power consumption. Power plants generate power according to anticipated and historic demand, but demand can never be perfectly predicted. When a high power device—like your AC, clothes dryer, or electric over—turns on, the power plant doesn't suddenly crank up the power it supplies to the grid. For this, and other reasons, the power plants will normally produce an excess of power, to avoid brownouts.

So even if this feature resulted in a 0.12% reduction in consumption—which it won't, for the reasons I've explained elsewhere—that doesn't mean the power plant will reduce its output a corresponding amount.

Some have made claims along the lines of, "Okay, so maybe this feature for an iPhone doesn't make a big difference, but imagine if they did that for electric vehicles!" First, I don't need to imagine this, because home electric vehicle charges have had the ability to shift charging to non-peak hours from the beginning.

Second, this is what I would call combatively agreeing with me: Criticizing my point while actually supporting it: reducing energy consumption by low-powered devices like iPhones makes no measurable difference, while reducing consumption by high powered devices—electric vehicles, clothes dryers, etc.—does.

Anyway, I realize that you can't reason a person out of a position he wasn't reasoned into and let this go. If you want to believe this feature will save the world, making you and Tim Cook saviors, I can't talk you out of your delusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.