Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
EGT said:
Pedal to the metal, damn right. :cool:

I think that Apple will eventually put Wi-Fi into the iPods (or at least the iPhone version of the iPods), and allow playlist sharing like iTunes already has. I think this would cooler than Zune's 3-song sharing limit. The only drawback would of course be that the song only resides on the "host" iPod, so you can only listen to it while the 2 iPods are within Wi-Fi range of each other (whereas with the Zune you can actually transfer the song and listen to the song later). So they are 2 different approaches but I think the iTunes "playlist sharing" approach would be enthusiastically received if they are somehow able to port that to the iPod.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
We'll see iPods with Bluetooth before Wi-Fi. I wouldn't mind having a Bluetooth enabled iPod so I can use it without wires when worn with earbuds.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
AoWolf said:
Feel free to put this one on the record: The zune will not kill the iPod take it from a high schooler. Its not cool. Microsoft is not cool. Girls won't think its cute. I pod is cool its the BMW of MP3 players. People don't care about features nearly as much as they care about having the name brand. Apple isn't stupid either they will fight tooth and nail to maintain there edge.

Good points, but Apple can't ride the current iPod wave forever, at some point the iPod form factor is going to start appearing dated and will need to be changed completely - consumer product aesthetics are very important and very fickle.

Personally, I'm a little jaded of the current iPod look. Give me a widescreen iPod, ideally with brushed metal package, no chrome back but with replaceable batteries, and I'd snap it up almost regardless of price.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
whooleytoo said:
Good points, but Apple can't ride the current iPod wave forever, at some point the iPod form factor is going to start appearing dated and will need to be changed completely - consumer product aesthetics are very important and very fickle.

Who ever said apple *never* needs to update? They just don't need to update now, or too soon. The current models are extremely popular, and even the Zune is a pretty weak competitor.

Apple doesn't need to update until after sales die off, and that won't happen until after Christmas.

halohunter9

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
Florida
The abilities of the Zune sound good in theory, but in reality for a person to use some of the features of the zune, they have to know someone else with a zune. Besides iPods come in diffrent sizes and the zune only offers 3 color choices. I think the Zune will fade away like all the other mp3 players out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.