Five things still missing from Apple MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone3gs, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10264671-1.html

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When you copy an article to a forum, it's good form to include the link from where you took it.

3. Poirot818 macrumors regular

1680x1050 on the 15" MBPs.

I'd actually prefer 1440x900 on the 13" MBPs and 1920x1200 on the 15" MBPs but that's even less likely to happen.

4. Ashhong macrumors member

5. Poirot818 macrumors regular

6. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

he did include the link and i DO have a collectors edition macbook

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

What is up with the touch screen fetish? Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

And do they even make a slot loading Blu-Ray drive? Actually, I think they do...someone on this form linked to a company who made them...they start at $1,000. Ah, no thanks.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. Although I'm not sure 1920x1200 on a 15" screen would be totally feasible - that would make for awfully small content. There must be a point where higher resolution becomes unfeasible because things just get too small. But higher res screens in the 13" and 15" would be great...

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

MBP's need the following options:

1. Matte...
    2. Better resolutions, 15" and 13" really...
    3. More USB/FireWire ports
    4. Cheaper CPU upgrades from Apple
    5. GPU options...nVidia vs. ATI
    6. 3G Card thing...forget the name
    7. Line in port needs to come back

Things MBP doesn't need:

1. Blu-Ray...say goodbye to the 8 hour battery
    2. HDMI...not needed, especially since Apple just added the mini-port
    3. SD reader

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well, have you thought about these?

Matte screen options
    What portion of PC laptops have that option?

Blu-ray
    Most people don't use optical drives anymore. Would be nice but HD video files work fine on Macs. No need to lug disks around.

Mobile broadband options
    It's call an iPhone (and third party tethering app)

HDMI
    Perhaps. However dVI to HDMI cable is $6, and I connect to sound system via a firewire sound card.

Touch screens
    It's a novalty that arn't used much on laptops. On wintels their drives are prone to crashing.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He added it after I posted and you're delusional.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think once HDMI connectors (that actually pipe audio) are standard on computers, they'll become a huge convenience -- for instance, when eventually it becomes standard practice to plug into a projector for presentations with HDMI, there will be no more "oh, I don't have sound!" issues. Also, you know, I'm always a fan of less cables. :eek: (FWIW I do use HDMI + an audio cable on my EeeBox right now, I think).

13. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

^ it's going to be forever before projectors have HDMI...at least at universities.

There are just far to many people with VGA output on their laptops

14. macDonalds macrumors 6502

It seems to be the way technology naturally evolves. In some cases the earlier version has a bit more of a learning curve; however, is more efficient.

Case in point - The Trackpoint. Remember these before the touchpad days? You can only find them in business laptops today; most notably - Lenovo. The trackpoint has a steeper learning curve but is far more efficient than a trackpad or even mouse for a touch typist.

Same thing can be said for touch screen. I can envision a future where touch screens are the norm and keyboards are legacy, business-only use. Just like the trackpoint - the keyboard is far more efficient than any touch screen will be. But the user has a learning curve - they have to learn how to type. The touch screen will be more intuitive but less efficient.

Sometimes less is more but these examples prove that less is less.

15. speed3 macrumors newbie

Small correction to c-net article

According to the guy at the Apple Store in my area, the anti-glare screen on the 17" MacBook Pro isn't "added on." Instead, he claims that it is the glossy, glass screen that is added on to the matte. In other words, all of the glossy screens on Apple's notebooks start off as matte but then Apple adds a thin sheet of glass over it to produce the glossy screen. I believe it you look at a matte 17" MBP, you'll notice that the screen is more recessed compared to its glossy counterpart (i.e., the matte screen has space to add the glass covering).

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Ok, so we're talking about a tablet, not a laptop.

Because with a laptop, just the simple ergonomics don't make any since for a touch screen on a laptop.

If typing isn't good for your wrists, imagine what constantly having your arm up and having to point and move very small objects would do to your shoulder

17. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

It would give you nicely toned muscles. :p

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

- Needs screen options like PC makers give you (high res, high color, matte)
    - HDMI, nobody can use that mini display port garbage. Its like they intentionally made a port that cant be used without buying adapters.
    - Express card

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I know because it takes far too much effort to carry a one ounce disc. Most people? Really? I'd like to see some statistics on that. :) I could certainly say people enjoy watching DVDs and BluRay movies on their computer because not everyone has 20Mbps connections.

All I want is options. I want the option to add a BluRay. I want the option to swap DisplayPort for DVI. I want the option to change the chiclet keyboard to the older one. Unfortunately this won't happen.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"Matte screen options
    Despite the fact that nearly every serious laptop user we know prefers matte, non-glossy screens...."

There's some quality reporting right there :rolleyes:

And what is this love affair from people over HDMI? I really don't get it.

21. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

.matte
    .more usbs
    express card
    better analysis of display
    no such a black bezel...