Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the majority of iOS features are available internationally, there are some that remain exclusive to the United States, such as the Apple Card, Apple Cash, IDs in the Wallet app, Advanced Data Protection, and Clean Energy Charging.

iphone-14-purple-2.jpg

Below, we've provided more details about some iPhone features available in the U.S. only and Apple's future expansion plans if any for the features.

Apple Card

apple-card-1-iPhone-13.jpg

Launched in 2019, the Apple Card remains available in the U.S. only. Apple's credit card can be managed completely through the Wallet app on the iPhone, with a physical version available for use at stores that do not accept contactless payments. The card has no fees beyond interest and offers up to 3% cashback known as Daily Cash.

While there have been clues that the Apple Card might expand to additional countries in the future, such as an Apple Card trademark filing in Canada, Apple has not confirmed any immediate plans to launch the card internationally.

Apple Cash

Apple-Cash-banner.jpg

Apple Cash is a Venmo-like payment feature that allows iPhone users in the U.S. to send, request, and receive money in the Wallet and Messages apps. Users can transfer their Apple Cash balance to a connected bank account.

Apple Cash remains available in the U.S. only and despite clues like a trademark filing in Canada, it is unclear if the feature will expand to other countries.

IDs in Wallet App

apple-wallet-drivers-license-feature.jpg

In early 2022, Apple started rolling out a feature allowing residents of participating U.S. states to add their driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch, providing a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age. The features requires iOS 15.4 and watchOS 8.4 or later and is currently available in Arizona, Colorado, and Maryland only, with at least nine more states to follow.

Apple said it was working to offer the ID feature across the U.S. in the future, but the company has yet to announce any plans to expand the feature to other countries, so it's unclear if or when the feature will launch internationally.

Advanced Data Protection

Apple-advanced-security-Advanced-Data-Protection_screen-Feature-greenblue.jpg

Apple last month introduced an optional Advanced Data Protection feature that expands end-to-end encryption to many additional areas of iCloud when enabled, including iCloud Backups, Photos, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos, and more. On the iPhone, the feature was introduced with iOS 16.2 for users in the U.S. only and will start rolling out to the "rest of the world" in early 2023, according to Apple.

It's unclear exactly when Advanced Data Protection will be available in additional countries, but given Apple's early 2023 timeframe, it's possible that the feature will be expanded to more iPhone users with iOS 16.3 or iOS 16.4.

Clean Energy Charging

clean-energy-charging-ios-16-1.jpg

iOS 16.1 introduced a Clean Energy Charging feature that "aims to decrease the carbon footprint of the iPhone by optimizing charging times for when the grid is using cleaner energy sources," according to Apple. When the feature is toggled on, the iPhone will attempt to charge when "lower carbon emission electricity" is available.

Clean Energy Charging is available in the U.S. only, and Apple has not indicated if or when it will be expanded to additional countries.

Article Link: Five Useful iOS Features Still Unavailable to International Users

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
5? There's a ******** okay, edit, boatload then more that's missing in my language/country. Though we did recently god look around, but since their Maps app is a bit lacking in the details not many people use that app.

But it's the translations that are always 1 year behind. We didn't get OCR till 1 year later, and that's just one from quite a list of things they are so incredibly slow at rolling out in other countries.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
It's probably not easy for Apple to roll out the financial services in places like Europe, Asia etc as each individual country will have it's own regulations etc.

Not easy is their middle name. There really is no reason as to why the rest of the world has to wait, wait, wait. This really is something they could throw more money at simply by hiring more people.

svrf

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Don't forget Apple Maps biking routes... or ride sharing... or transit card support (though that's avaibale for Japan and China as well)... or the detailed landmark visuals... or... (and that's all just in Maps!!!!)

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Working Wallet compensates Apple Card I'd say. Crazy Apple needing to make deals with the individual banks here in Sweden instead of going to Visa or MasterCard directly. I changed banks two years ago to get access to Wallet and having a MasterCard available. In October my old bank got Wallet support.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
I can guarantee that the UK will never see the Apple Card. Reward cards are scarce here at best and last time I looked didn’t offer anything as good as what is on offer with that.
Agreed. We seem to be more likely to have it tied to something else. We have Circle-K MasterCards giving 1,5% back on all purchases, and extra discount when filling up petrol. 45 days credit for free as well.

Reactions: VampyricGentleman

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Should be easy to bring green energy charging to the UK - the National Grid ESO app lets you see what sources make up the current electricity generation in your region so it should be an easy data source for Apple to tap. Currently in East England, 65% of the electricity is being generated via zero carbon means (40% wind, 22% nuclear, 3% solar) with the rest coming via 30% gas and 4% biomass.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I can guarantee that the UK will never see the Apple Card. Reward cards are scarce here at best and last time I looked didn’t offer anything as good as what is on offer with that.
We have plenty of rewar cards; it's just that the rewards are pitiful (usually 0.5%). Can't see too many people rushing to take out a new credit card with that kind of payback (especially as the kind of person that would do it likely already has a rewards card). Also, Apple Pay use in the UK seems pretty high already.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Yep, our American friends do get MORE for LESS from Apple than us.
Yeah don’t feel bad. Those features lifted aren’t actually all that useful.

No ID in wallet in most states.
No look around in most areas.
Advanced data protection, need a person you trust who is also on the Apple train (wife uses Android)
Clean energy charging, silly. Phone goes on the night stand charger at night or on car or desk charger during the day when I need it and it better charge!
And I already have all the credit cards I need.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

Yeah, anyone waiting for Apple Card in UK or Europe and expecting similar rewards is going to be disappointed - credit card merchant rates etc are much higher in the US, so card issuers can afford to offer bigger cashback-type rewards.

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Should be easy to bring green energy charging to the UK - the National Grid ESO app lets you see what sources make up the current electricity generation in your region so it should be an easy data source for Apple to tap. Currently in East England, 65% of the electricity is being generated via zero carbon means (40% wind, 22% nuclear, 3% solar) with the rest coming via 30% gas and 4% biomass.
On a per-phone basis, the impact of charging behaviour is surprisingly low (seems to be ~0.06KWh used per charge). There might be a mass impact for millions of phones, but you might be better to focus on your own renewable installation (even a small solar panel should charge a phone :)), or timing the use of appliances like washing machines/dishwashers

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Sadly, the digital drivers license will probably never come to Germany. "Digitalisation who?"

The other day I lost my license, it took me over a month to finally get an appointment for ANOTHER month from that day and then another 5 weeks for the new license to arrive. I am actually surprised they send it. For the passport you need ANOTHER appointment to pick it up.

Oh and the police from Berlin could not even access that I have a valid drivers license because I did not make my license in Berlin

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Clean Energy Charging feels like such fluff. How does the iPhone know where the electricity it's using is coming from? Does "clean" or "green" electricity taste different from "dirty" or "carbon based" electricity?

Is it like tasting the plant in a fake burger versus one made of juicy cow? I have so many questions...

• Disagree
Reactions: mhnd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.