Five years ahead

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Jun 14, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

For those that remember the 2007 iPhone keynote. Steve said the OS was five years ahead of any phone in the market at the moment.

I think those that say iOS 6 isn't what they expected, has the same UI ect ect ect.. Those people just expect innovation from apple all the time. Since apple spoiled you with innovation and now that the five years of the "revolutionary" OS it's over. You guys expect more.

Android for example or windows phone. Are they offering innovation or a revolutionary OS ? No they are not. The OS just has features iOS doesn't have. But they aren't innovating. Why no such complaints to them for every os announcement they have? Simple answer I repeat. Apple has spoiled you!

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

5 years ahead of what ? They were behind other players on the market in a number of features with the first iPhone (copy/paste, multi-tasking, MMS, 3G to name a few).

Don't always believe the hype Apple spouts. ;)

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It speaks volumes that for years now the narrative has been that Apple is like no other company in terms of innovation and customer support.
    Now that Apple is letting people down the Apple supporters can only justify it by comparing Apple to those very same competitive companies.
    That may as well be their new slogan:
    Apple.... now like every other company.

5. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I'm starting to see why most of the world hates the Apple following.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Reread what he said.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I reread it 15 times. Apple has never spoiled anyone but Apple. Apple just touts what it has, claims it's innovative as heck and 5 years ahead, while it gently brushes all it lacks under the carpet and tries to make you forget.

Always was, always will be. iOS 6 or the first iPhone makes no difference.

8. newagemac macrumors 68020

Recent Customer Satisfaction surveys say you don't seem to have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

9. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

What does a customer satisfaction survey have to do with them being just as "innovative" as many other companies out there?

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

They were ahead of what people were obviously looking for in terms of simplicity and integration which were no doubt more important to consumers than the techy stuff you mentioned. So while you're technically correct, Apple chose to focused on what would sell and addressed what people were looking for in their next device.

11. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

To an extent.... however a lot of their success comes from having the greatest marketing team in the history of mankind.

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yeah, too bad they can hardly get anyone to buy the damn things. :eek:

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I disagree. Apple's innovation in terms of their iProducts isn't just about hardware. It's about their entire business model and how to create, re-create and market value to consumers. MP3 players were nothing new back in 2001, neither was management software for music on computers. Apple absolutely was innovative when matching iTunes and the device together. They began marketing a Platform not just a device.

They did the same thing with the iPhone and iTunes and then the AppStore. Notice a trend? While the competition was trying to out-do them on devices, Apple was delivering a portfolio of highly integrated products that touted simplicity, stability, integration and not only HOW users would integrated them into their lives but they marketed a story around WHY they their products would be the best thing in the world to have. No one else did or really does that today.

Sure, in some cases Apple’s innovation is dependent on other companies laying the groundwork, but they go further by building better products that really meet the customer’s needs. The competition has yet to see what's really important.

Ironically just look at their retail store model vs every other retailer. While just about every retailer out there is scaling back build-outs of new stores and thinning customer service staff to all but 1, 2 or perhaps a handful of people to assist you, Apple realizes the exact opposite is what works. Build new kick ass stores with TONS of employees and CUSTOMER SERVICE that actually addresses what consumers look for when shopping.......a great EXPERIENCE. Price isn't even a consideration when you walk into an Apple store, yet Android Devices try BOGO offers at every discount retailer around to try and seed the market with their products.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Since when is copy/paste "techy"?

15. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

And, they own over half the market share.... So why are we knocking that method?

16. pdqgp, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

When you compare the ability or in ability to copy/paste as a feature to a sleek new phone (looking back at the original iPhone launch) with a touch screen, icons and user friendly and easily integrated interface, it becomes a technical aspect of a device that millions said they could care less about when weighing it against aesthetics and actual needs/uses they have in mind for it.

----------

"They" are hundreds of manufacturers with a fragmented market strewn with devices that are not easily understood by consumers shopping for them vs Apple and a pretty simple portfolio. I like technology and gadgets yet even I find it hard to keep all the Android based makes and models straight. With Windows based devices trying to make a re-appearance, the market becomes even more confusing and thus making Apples portfolio even more attractive to many.

I'm not knocking their method, but as a businessman, if you ask me do I respect a company that is the biggest or the most profitable, I'm taking profit all day long.

17. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I had a Droid.. you may want to read their forums after an update.. they do just that...

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You're right. Again, it goes back to integrating their products and updates with people and their lives. Look at Siri and voice dictation. Android had it first but why is it that so many people never knew this? I actually think it speaks volumes to hear Android peeps proudly say they had it first and then slam Apple fans who think Siri is revolutionary. In actuality, having a technology the masses don't know about isn't really benefiting anyone so let the Android fans speak proudly of their best kept secret.

Apple gave a "name"...Siri to the technology. They call it our "personal assistant"; and they show it in use in "real world ways." Yeah, I guess one could call that innovative and in some ways revolutionary.

19. newagemac macrumors 68020

No, he said "now that Apple is letting people down". I'm pretty sure a Customer Satisfaction Survey will indicate whether you are now letting people down or not. And Apple is doing better than ever with the competition lagging far behind.

Which explains why their iOS devices keep outselling the competition. Not exactly the kind of story the guy was attempting to project though, huh?

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ are you implying the above has changed and that Apple is no longer seen as innovative or leading the way in terms of customer support? If so I'd be interested in seeing the data behind this.

here too I'd love to see the data that Apple is letting their customers down.

21. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Ah, valid point.

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Can you provide any surveys that were done after the WWDC keynote?
    ;)
    But your survey comment really only proves my point.
    Last survey I saw gave Apple an 83/100 rating while their competition averaged 73/100.
    54% of iPhone customers were highly satisfied.
    Samsung and HTC tied at 47%

Apple has gone from the pinnacle where the competition wasn't even worth mentioning to a numbers game that they are still winning.... but now we've actually got a game.

Again, people can only defend Apple by comparing them to their competition.
    When only a year or two ago.....Apple didn't need defending at all.

23. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I kind of see where you're going with this, but I must say that I have some disagreements.

While I welcome the cool new features in iOS 6, I also think that many of these "features" were put in for change's sake, while others were done with no practicality in mind. For example, why change the Phone's dial pad from a nice black color to a playful white color? Or the Camera app to have a black banner, as well as the redesigned stores, or the Music app, etc. People who say "If it ain't broke, don't change it" should chime into these things. The thing about 3D... it's just impractical. I know for sure that I'm not going to be using 3D except for maybe when I'm bored and waiting in line or something. Street View on the other hand is a whole lot more practical as it actually helps in figuring out where a store is located or how it looks at a specific address. However, I will hold off on the new Maps until I see it in my hands/they are done with beta testing of it.

It is because of these problems that I'm beginning to see that Apple's not really putting a whole lot of effort into this iOS. I mean, really, without the Maps update, this update is truly only worthy of an iOS 5.x, even with "200 new features" (keeping in mind that some of these "features" are just slight changes/redesigns). (I'd also like to point out that they added the camera button on the lock screen with a 5.x update, so I don't see how or why they couldn't have added the new Phone reminder feature in also... but, I'm no developer so I'm a bit ignorant here).

It is because of this that many, including me, are complaining about Apple's lack of innovation in the iOS. As for expecting... I found out about iOS 6 being released the day before WWDC, so apart from Maps I was not expecting any changes. Yet, I was disappointed by the general non-change in the iOS, with changes being mainly enhancements and cosmetic. While I welcomed these changes, I don't think they were worthy of the iOS 6 branding. Merely a 5.x.

24. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

Great marketing can only do so much if your product is ****.

I think your point is spot on about Apple being able to produce/build upon technology and making it elegant and easy to use for non-techy people. The entire Mac experience is the same thing. You can have a zillion features, but if you don't know they exist or how to use them, they quickly become useless!

Apple critics or more techy crowds may find Apple's approach over-simplified or not having the flexibility (skins, mods, features etc.) that they would wish and I think that's a fair point. However, Apple's target audience is more mainstream and for those that want streamlined devices that just work.

I think the options are there for those who want more flexibility (jailbreaking or switching), it's all about what you want!

25. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

You had some great valid points! Which I all respect. But this specific one I disagree. You're letting the label of the update (iOS 5 / iOS 6) disappoint you and claim its not worth an upgrade just because of the huge number jump in the marketing branding of the update from 5 to 6.