Five years now

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lostngone, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

It was around this time 5 years ago I received the news of his passing. Every year that passes I realize more and more how much he directly touched my life and in no small way I am where I am now because of the devices he was responsible for bringing the the marketplace.

You are truly missed...

2. Scepticalscribe, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sigh.

While I accept that Mr Jobs was an extraordinarily creative, brilliant and gifted individual, who had a major influence on computers, tech design, how music is marketed, sold and consumed, and, arising from that, transforming the world of online communication - any post - or article - which uses - or used - the pronoun 'he' (in the absence of an accompanying name, as if to suggest that the individual is of such importance so as to not need the identifying label of a name, that the pronoun alone suffices, as who 'he' is, is clearly self-evident, in a way that might even call for the pronoun 'he' to be rendered in capital letters) in such a tone of muted reverence gives me pause.

Candidly, I am rather uncomfortable with ascribing such elevated demi-divine status to any human being.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I agree with @Scepticalscribe here. Same with the multitude of threads beginning with "what would Steve do," or "what would Steve have thought." He's dead. The world has moved on.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I leave such reverence as displayed in the OP for people I actually knew. They have affected my life far more often and in far more profound ways than the CEO of a tech company.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

Well, at least he didn't capitalize the letter H. :)

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Indeed. However, the post read as though that was what he thought he ought to have done.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.